Can things get better? (infection phobia)

Hello, I'm new here.

I have a phobia of getting an infection or or illness from dirt or some kinds of bacteria.

On trains I won't hold the handrails and will even stand up on a fast train, balancing myself with my legs only.

There was a man I was befriending and I pulled back and stopped developing the friendship because he had dogs running loose all over his house, it wasn't tidy and the kids had dirty looking hands.

I won't shake hands with people. Some people have become upset at this.

After I pick up the post that's been put through the letterbox, I open it, then wash my hands with soap.

I won't drink out of glasses in a person's house if most their kitchen isn't spotless.

I won't use public toilets even if means holding it in for hours. This makes me stressed.

Does anyone relate to this? Can it get better?

Edited by georgeconstanza

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. 

Yes, it absolutely can get better. If you haven't already, I suggest that you speak to your GP about getting a referral for CBT. I have many of the same issues as you, and CBT has helped me a lot. There is typically a waiting time for CBT so you may consider buying a 'self-help' book which should help you whilst you wait. Break Free From OCD is one of the best.

36 minutes ago, Just_Beat_It said:

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. 

Yes, it absolutely can get better. If you haven't already, I suggest that you speak to your GP about getting a referral for CBT. I have many of the same issues as you, and CBT has helped me a lot. There is typically a waiting time for CBT so you may consider buying a 'self-help' book which should help you whilst you wait. Break Free From OCD is one of the best.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've requested psychological therapy from the GP so that might be CBT. I had an initial assessment on the phone a few days ago and will find out this coming week if I'm getting any support and what kind it will be.

I think my case of OCD is really, really severe I really want someone or some people to convince me that being dirty is okay. 

@georgeconstanza - Welcome to the forums George.  Sorry to hear that you are having a rough time.  OCD is certainly unpleasant, but it is something you can manage and overcome.  Things can get better!  It is good to hear that you are seeking and getting professional help, that can make a big difference in recovery.

8 hours ago, georgeconstanza said:

I think my case of OCD is really, really severe I really want someone or some people to convince me that being dirty is okay. 

Many sufferers feel like their case is special or worse than others.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  The reality is you are in pain right now and you deserve to get better.  That what matters most, not how you compare with other sufferers, instead that you take steps and do the work necessary to improve your situation.  

Others can certainly help, such as therapists, doctors, even friends and family, but ultimately, it will be you who is able to change your mindset so that you no longer have a big problem with dirt.  Recovery is relatively simple, but definitely challenging.  There isn't really much trick to recovery, you don't have to be super smart or super talented, just a bit stubborn.  So hang in there, do your best, and remember that recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.  Slow and steady progress will get you to your goal.  Hang in there!

George, you need to list the things that you do that you know other people probably don’t do. Those are most likely compulsions. You will need to start doing these behaviours again, slowly but surely to SHOW your brain that it doesn’t need to give you false alarms all the time.

Edited by Orwell1984
21 hours ago, Orwell1984 said:

George, you need to list the things that you do that you know other people probably don’t do. Those are most likely compulsions. You will need to start doing these behaviours again, slowly but surely to SHOW your brain that it doesn’t need to give you false alarms all the time.

Thanks, that sounds doable. ?