Tips for suffering ocd daily?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Phil19 said:

I believe it will never stop worrying until I move house or something this is how my ocd operates. I wish I could change how I seen this

You've changed houses before, yet you keep worrying.  Changing houses is not going to be any different this time if you don't change the real problems.
You CAN change how you see this, but it means doing the work, hard work yes, but necessary.  You HAVE to touch the things that make you feel uneasy, you have to face the anxiety and do things anyway.  Yes its hard, yes its unpleasant, but it can be done.

8 hours ago, Phil19 said:

I have read people with ocd who will bleach something and think that’s germs gone my issue is thinking something is forever dirty.

Bleaching is just a compulsion, the worry comes back for these people too.  Your situation isn't different from there's, to them it feels just as awful.  But their situation doesn't change your situation.  You still have to do the work if you want things to change.  Trust me, I wish there was an easier way (medication can help, but you still have to do the work).  But you can keep things going the way the are OR you can do what is known to work, what we are telling you to do, what we have seen work and what science has shown can work. But ultimately its up to you.

I seem to have failed the test then as my wife put an item down on that area affected and I am refusing to use the item. One day it might be an expensive item. 

You only fail if you give up.  You can make the choice to touch the item, and even to use it.  Its up to you.  You are in control here, right now you are giving up that control to OCD, but you have a choice.

So I mentioned how I was worried about the floor as my mum touched the bin and then a bag which was put on my floor. She also gave something which went on my kitchen work top and it also touched my sofa yet none of these worry me too much only the floor? Why would this be or do I need a psychologist to figure it out for me?

Because you have OCD, Phil. That's why. OCD is nonsensical. It's crazy. It makes no sense. 

There is nothing wrong with the bin.

There is nothing wrong with the bag.

There is nothing wrong with the floor.

Absolutely nothing. OCD is telling you there is a huge problem but it is lying. OCD always lies. It never tells the truth.

But you keep feeding it with compulsions.

• 1 month later...
On 09/11/2020 at 00:41, PolarBear said:

Because you have OCD, Phil. That's why. OCD is nonsensical. It's crazy. It makes no sense. 

There is nothing wrong with the bin.

There is nothing wrong with the bag.

There is nothing wrong with the floor.

Absolutely nothing. OCD is telling you there is a huge problem but it is lying. OCD always lies. It never tells the truth.

But you keep feeding it with compulsions.

Sadly I have not been able to change how I think. The area is off limits to me it makes me anxious. You say it shouldn’t worry me but my ocd thinks it is. “Forever contaminated” is something I’ve had for a number of years. I wish somebody could say something to relax me maybe they can but the issue is I struggle to change how I see it. Maybe to others cleaning the floor fixes the problem but my ocd says even removing the floor isn’t enough the whole land is contaminated I know that’s not ideal way to think?

I realize how contamination OCD works. I understand what you are saying.

The reason things are so bad for you is that you take the thoughts seriously and do compulsions. You say the area is off limits. That means you avoid the area. Avoidance is a compulsion. 

1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

I realize how contamination OCD works. I understand what you are saying.

The reason things are so bad for you is that you take the thoughts seriously and do compulsions. You say the area is off limits. That means you avoid the area. Avoidance is a compulsion. 

Yes I struggle with the compilations to be honest. I have a fear of dying these thoughts pop into my head daily. Feels like I can’t escape these thoughts. It would be easy just to touch the ground or not worry about dying but I find that very difficult? 

• 1 month later...

People may remember I worried about my letter box as my mum put an envelope through it and I worried it had been near the bin. I ended up getting a new door but it’s been contaminated already as a parcel man has put my neighbours parcel in the wheelie bin and put a slip through the door so now I am worried about that letter box as he never obviously washed his hands so the germs are on the letter box?

We've been over these types of things countless times before, Phil. We've told you what you need to do,  many times. You have to start doing it.

It is not doing you any good just coming here and telling us about your latest obsession.

Hi Phil,

It's a fair while since we chatted, I'm sorry you're struggling so much still. I know at one time you weren't too keen about consulting a therapist for one-to-one support, is that something you've had a change of heart about and been able to do, or are willing to maybe reconsider? 

On 05/02/2021 at 00:21, Hal said:

Hi Phil,

It's a fair while since we chatted, I'm sorry you're struggling so much still. I know at one time you weren't too keen about consulting a therapist for one-to-one support, is that something you've had a change of heart about and been able to do, or are willing to maybe reconsider? 

I got CBT in 2019 ten sessions and one session in 2020 nothing since I am not too keen on doing it over video calls.

My second worry is the COVID jab I don’t want it but worry about covid vaccines banning me from society having no life making it all but mandatory how can I deal with this? I worry they will come upto my door to jab me and if I don’t stop me doing anything?

CBT only works if you do the work. You can have 100 sessions and it will be a waste if you don't do the work. 

You think maybe you are worrying about nothing with this Covid thing? Anyone in authority in your country declaring vaccines mandatory? Seen the needle police going door to door?

1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

CBT only works if you do the work. You can have 100 sessions and it will be a waste if you don't do the work. 

You think maybe you are worrying about nothing with this Covid thing? Anyone in authority in your country declaring vaccines mandatory? Seen the needle police going door to door?

It’s the newspapers remember they said they would test people every day and at work that hasn’t happened yet. The papers keep plugging vaccine passports the last time I heard such things it was ID cards with Tony Blair. I hope I am over worrying but the biggest trigger for worry is the media. That’s been the problem I actually have ocd about needing news. I check it often 10-20 times a day so I know I have an issue. 

• 1 month later...

I got a small chip in my wall however I painted over it sadly it’s notable slight different colour well a bit lighter as it’s fresh paint so that’s made me anxious that the entire room needs painted it a photo to hide the blemish anybody else had this issue?

2 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

How about, it's not an issue.

I have a perfection issue though I often believe things are tainted if people touch bins or if paint work is blemished. I’ve get yet to defeat this worry. 

On 15/03/2021 at 06:09, PolarBear said:

I realize that, Phil. We have spent years telling you what to do. The answer is the same for this instance as it was for the proceeding 200.

I take an (unplanned) forum hiatus for a few months, come back and this thread is still going and its the same thing as before.  Its quite sad.

On 14/03/2021 at 12:02, Phil19 said:

I have a perfection issue though I often believe things are tainted if people touch bins or if paint work is blemished. I’ve get yet to defeat this worry. 

We understand you have that issue, and we know its unpleasant (at best) to deal with.  But if you want to defeat it you can't keep doing the same old things like avoidance, hiding it, etc.  The absolute best thing you could do for yourself is to leave it alone.  Will it make you uncomfortable for awhile?  Probably.  Will it kill you?  No.  Will it eventually stop being as big a deal?  If you stop treating it as one, yes.

I use to get extreme anxiety riding busses (and other public transit).  Visiting my girlfriend in college, who lived across town, was quite the ordeal for me.  But I had a choice to make, I could avoid travel, and as a result not get to spend time with someone I cared about and enjoyed, or I could take on that fear.  It wasn't easy, and it wasn't fun.  It took time, but riding the bus over and over to visit her and things got easier and easier.  Now I live in a city where I routinely take transit everywhere I go (or did before COVID, now I only go out occasionally, but I'll be going out again as soon as things get back to normal and I get my vaccine) without worrying about it.  Not because I did anything magic, not because things got better, but because I decided to do the work.  You can too.