Fear of driving

So I have been diagnosed by OCD. I get this intrusive thoughts that I really hate. But the most annoying of them is the fear of driving on high ways. I the wider the road is the more scared I am . I feel scared , scared to the point that I want to open the car door and jump or just stop the car in the middle of the road . I feel like am going to crash and hurt other people.

I have been avoiding driving outside the city.

My doctor told me that I should still drive on highways to get over my fears but I feel like am gonna hurt myself or somebody.

Anybody have tips for me to ease the matter ?

I agree with your doctor that you should continue to drive on highways. Over time you should get used to it and the anxiety shouldn't be as bad. To start with, perhaps you could pick a time that the roads are relatively quiet and then build up from there. 

The best treatment for OCD is CBT - did you doctor discuss this with you?

Yes he did but he advised that CBT for OCD will be ERP which is hard to apply to be honest. the intensity of my fear is multiplied if I am driving at night.

Yeah that’s an annoying one, particularly when you see all the idiots who have no problem with driving.

I never did learn to drive, and looking back I sure the OCD played it’s part.

I found the responsibility overwhelming. I do have a full motorbike licence and in the past been quite happy throwing large powerful bikes round the roads.

As I get older I find riding at night and busy roads more fraught.

I notice you live in Egypt, and find out of town driving worrying, It must be very different to the pottering round rural English back roads.

I agree with PolarBear, about being monitored by a trained therapist.