OCD and the internet

Hello all,

So I think it's safe to say the internet has become a massive part of our daily lives and it's used by nearly every single person on this planet.

I want to start a weight loss channel (because I'm overweight) or a video blog, but there's one thing stopping me. It's the fear of putting my face on the internet. I think this fear stemmed from an incident that once happened on a wiki I was once on.

To cut a long story short, I edited this wiki and so did someone else, we had a disagreement on there and I was so scared that everyone would know it's me (like I thought people would track me down). I tried to get rid of the disagreement we had, but they kept putting our disagreement  back on their page. It got to the point where they even wrote an entire page about me. Of course nothing happened out of it, but I was worried for a few years on and off. I'm not worried about what happened now, but that fear still lingers in my brain.

Would the thing to do is start a YouTube channel and show my face on it?

Hi Paintbrush,

7 hours ago, PaintBrush1999 said:

Would the thing to do is start a YouTube channel and show my face on it?

?Absolutely that's the thing to do.

When it comes to any fear, the only way to effectively extinguish it is to turn and face it head on. It might seem safer and easier not to, to avoid what makes us anxious and use other compulsions to be rid of it...but in the long run by running from it we cause ourselves so much more anguish.

When the what ifs and doubts pop up try to remember the past is the past, this is a new beginning and venture you're embarking on. You're in the driving seat now, you're the one making the decisions and using your personal insight and experience to help other people. But be prepared for those doubts...you have the measure of them, don't engage with them. Let them be there and try to stay focused on what you want to achieve and they'll fade away. You can do this?