Real life event OCD - views please

Hello everyone, sorry to start another thread. But I have this one query about understanding this disorder in itself actually-

If a particular incident has happened in real life, say for instance a distressing event or someone cheating on their spouse  ; basically a distressful event. Any human bejng would obviously feel bad about it - including OCD and non OCD sufferers, right.

Now I want to know the next bit better - what people on this forum are saying is in case of a non OCD sufferer the person may perhaps confess about adultery to her spouse or shares his grief about the event. So would the OCD sufferer. Both would feel guilty and make up for their mistakes, depending on their spouse's reaction.

BUT WHAT you are saying is - the OCD sufferer would not feel better by just confessing as confession is a compulsion. An OCD sufferer would engage in excessive level of compulsions to in order to get rid of that distress? Is that what you are saying? An OCD sufferer would exhibit a reaction to the event - in terms of BOTH the reactive feeling and behaviour which is disproportionate to the event?

And what you further go to say is that OCD sufferers do the compulsions because the distress is so much that they feel compelled to feel better (only for a short while though in case of compulsions). 

So what you are essentially suggesting is - in case of real life event, your reaction (thought and behaviour both) to the event is the core problem? OCD sufferers' reaction to that real life instance is the issue? 

I am asking the above questions in specific to real life instances and not only thoughts, images and urges. I just want to know if I am understanding this right.

I really hope I get your insights because this has been my doubt for a while now actually.

Thank you.

OCD causes us to feel doubt/uncertainty and because of the doubt, to feel distress.
The source of the doubt can be related to anything.  It can be about an event that has happened, an event we are afraid might have happened, an event we are afraid might happen in the future.
The doubt and distress are disproportionate, often dramatically so, with a reasonable response, which we as OCD sufferers often have a hard time understanding, because the anxiety we feel makes it SEEM like it is that important.
Real situation, imagined situation, its the doubt and distress that are the real problem.