Hi guys

I’m sorry for needing  so much attention the last few days and I really do appreciate anyone that has helped me. I seem to be in the ‘rabbit hole’ as you guys put it. My mind is jumping from one thought to the next and back to the previous. I don’t want to use what the Mental Health Nurse told me the other day as a reassurance but she told me for now I basically need to ignore what my brain is telling me. No good will come of it. I’m finding that hard however. I mean at times I can see why I must do this and see it as doing the right thing but I can get scared of it too. I don’t want to be scared of any thought, or feel any thought is more relevant than the next. Just reaching out for some words of more wisdom in a particularly difficult time. 

I love you guys and admire you all so much.

Nicola

Hello Nicola,

To ignore the false information your brain is telling you is difficult at first. I mean I should know, if you have ever read any of my threads, I still have a hard time. It is possible however. It takes practice. A few months back, I was very much how you are today. My intrusive thoughts were running riot; they just wouldn't calm down.

What I suspect you know already is that OCD is a liar. It always lies to you. In fact that is probably the only truth about OCD; that it always lies. I learn't a technique online, whereby when OCD is being a bully, one does a little bullying back. You see, OCD works on doubt. The doubt creates fear and anxiety your imagination takes over and then you feel overwhelmed. 

The method I use actually strengthens the left side of the brain; the logic side, as opposed to the right side of the brain; the imagination side. OCD always comes in the form of a question and that question is almost certainly 'What If?' What If this? What If that?

What I have learnt is to answer OCD with the answer 'I DON'T KNOW'. OCD comes back and says 'What if this happens?' and I say 'I DON'T KNOW' It seems to me that the OCD bully doesn't know what to do with that answer! It is a tool, not a cure and for me it does calm the intrusive thoughts down.

There is a video on Youtube featuring James Callner entitled 'How to Calm Your Thoughts. James explains it far better than I ever can. Good luck.

Edited by O Neg
spelling
5 minutes ago, O Neg said:

Hello Nicola,

To ignore the false information your brain is telling you is difficult at first. I mean I should know, if you have ever read any of my threads, I still have a hard time. It is possible however. It takes practice. A few months back, I was very much how you are today. My intrusive thoughts were running riot; they just wouldn't calm down.

What I suspect you know already is that OCD is a liar. It always lies to you. In fact that is probably the only truth about OCD; that it always lies. I learn't a technique online, whereby when OCD is being a bully, one does a little bullying back. You see, OCD works on doubt. The doubt creates fear and anxiety your imagination takes over and then you feel overwhelmed. 

The method I use actually strengthens the left side of the brain; the logic side, as opposed to the right side of the brain; the imagination side. OCD always comes in the form of a question and that question is almost certainly 'What If?' What If this? What If that?

What I have learnt is to answer OCD with the answer 'I DON'T KNOW'. OCD comes back and says 'What if this happens?' and I say 'I DON'T KNOW' It seems to me that the OCD bully doesn't know what to do with that answer! It is a tool, not a cure and for me it does calm the intrusive thoughts down.

There is a video on Youtube featuring James Callner entitled 'How to Calm Your Thoughts. James explains it far better than I ever can. Good luck.

Thank you O Neg. Your post was very helpful thank you I might try that too ‘I don’t know’ I will certainly give it a go. 

You are very welcome. Don't forget the video. I watch it at least once a day. James Callner is such a nice guy. He has done several coaching videos and I enjoy them and find them very useful.

8 minutes ago, O Neg said:

You are very welcome. Don't forget the video. I watch it at least once a day. James Callner is such a nice guy. He has done several coaching videos and I enjoy them and find them very useful.

I like "I Don't know'

And I'll definitely have a look at the video, 

Nice one