Worried ? & False Memory (Merged Thread)

49 minutes ago, Nikki79 said:

Thanks Taurean. I can’t explain it but that only a sense of well-being and calm has come over me and a different attitude.

You can build on it. Keep believing what we have said, don't pay attention to any intrusions - consider them to be nothing more than worthless junk - because that is what they really are. 

And because you can now see that with the knowledge you now have, you do not have to react to it. You leave them be and get back on with things. 

OCD thoughts themselves are harmless, when we treat them as such instead of believing them. 

And the more we do that, the less they will trouble us. 

Believe them, they upset us, set up a vicious cycle of anxiety. Gain strength and frequency. 

See them for what they are - OCD targetin our true values of love care and propriety - treat them as made-up nonsense and leave them be, and they lose power and frequency. 

Which of those paths do you now know to follow, however convincing the intrusions seem? 

Edited by taurean
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, taurean said:

You can build on it. Keep believing what we have said, don't pay attention to any intrusions - consider them to be nothing more than worthless junk - because that is what they really are. 

And because you can now see that with the knowledge you now have, you do not have to react to it. You leave them be and get back on with things. 

OCD thoughts themselves are harmless, when we treat them as such instead of believing them. 

And the more we do that, the less they will trouble us. 

Believe them, they upset us, set up a vicious cycle of anxiety. Gain strength and frequency. 

See them for what they are - OCD targetin our true values of love care and propriety - treat them as made-up nonsense and leave them be, and they lose power and frequency. 

Which of those paths do you now know to follow, however convincing the intrusions seem? 

That’s a great post and even reading it I’m fully believing it and then I get a doubting moment but then this is the OCD right? It’s tough going for us but you are right Taurean .

6 hours ago, Nikki79 said:

That’s a great post and even reading it I’m fully believing it and then I get a doubting moment but then this is the OCD right? It’s tough going for us but you are right Taurean .

OCD isn't known as the "doubting disease" for nothing :)

Just think how wonderful it will be when you, not the OCD, have regained the ascendancy. 

That will give you a little more determination. 

6 hours ago, taurean said:

OCD isn't known as the "doubting disease" for nothing :)

Just think how wonderful it will be when you, not the OCD, have regained the ascendancy. 

That will give you a little more determination. 

Oh lol I can’t wait to have an easier life I can tell you that straight. I do hope you are continuing to improve and manage things better too. I’m really trying to ignore the intrusions and just focus my interest on the things that are worthwhile, my child, my self esteem, my interests again. I’m trying not to allow the thoughts that tell me I don’t deserve these things cos that’s more OCD nonsense as you say.  You know what always kind of bothers me is thinking when will this current obsession subside and thinking will it ever but then looking back they always do eventually don’t they. It would be nice if it went faster I have to say! I think that is also where you can trip up to ‘rethink’ it or whatever and that’s what we really MUST not do. I’m just wishing I had an easier way of leaving it go..... and suggestions @taurean or @dksea? Hopefully some other readers will benefit from his post too x

Edited by Nikki79

As a short-term measure identify the intrusion as OCD, whatever doubt you may feel. Then calmly get back to what you are doing, leaving it be and continuing to ignore it. 

Don't react if it continues to nag away, it's just OCD and the thoughts don't actually mean anything. 

Don't try and push them away, don't try and neutralise with an opposing thought, don't try and suppress the thoughts. Just let them be. 

The more successful you get at this, the less they will bother you. 

5 hours ago, taurean said:

As a short-term measure identify the intrusion as OCD, whatever doubt you may feel. Then calmly get back to what you are doing, leaving it be and continuing to ignore it. 

Don't react if it continues to nag away, it's just OCD and the thoughts don't actually mean anything. 

Don't try and push them away, don't try and neutralise with an opposing thought, don't try and suppress the thoughts. Just let them be. 

I’m really going to take this on board. Thank you Taurean.

On 27/01/2020 at 11:35, taurean said:

I think what happens for me is that if I’m in a lower mood they start to appear or else I have the nagging doubt the whole time that I should be worried and there is something to be concerned about. If I keep doing what you say @Taurean do you think I can battle all that? 

I guess I’m just feeling some nerves today or I can see this stuff following me in my head and I don’t want it to be there at all. On a positive note I’m living my life again and doing everyday tasks like normal etc... I just want to see the recent episode as more OCD stuff and not some made up catastrophe that it likes to scare the boots off me with.

Edited by Nikki79

Take that leap of faith that it is all made-up nonsense of OCD and treat it as such. 

We must all do this in order to get better.

Don't listen to any nags, just let it play in your head and disregard it. 

You don't want it, but you have to not listen to it and just keep living your life as normal. 

The more you do this, the more resilience you can find - you will cross over a mental line where you feel stronger and more able to manage this, and the intrusions will become weaker. 

It takes patience persistence and perseverance but you can do it. 

Edited by taurean
1 hour ago, taurean said:

Take that leap of faith that it is all made-up nonsense of OCD and treat it as such. 

We must all do this in order to get better.

Don't listen to any nags, just let it play in your head and disregard it. 

You don't want it, but you have to not listen to it and just keep living your life as normal. 

The more you do this, the more resilience you can find - you will cross over a mental line where you feel stronger and more able to manage this, and the intrusions will become weaker. 

It takes patience persistence and perseverance but you can do it. 

Thanks Taurean. If I could treat them as all the same I would be better off but do you get that where some feel more important?

2 hours ago, Nikki79 said:

Thanks Taurean. If I could treat them as all the same I would be better off but do you get that where some feel more important?

You have to treat them all the same. All false messages you need to ignore. 

4 hours ago, dksea said:

Belief comes in time, for now you just have to act as if it's true.

Ok I’m doing it I promise @dksea ?

I love all you guys I wish some time I could sit down with you all and buy you some coffee and cake. Truly you inspire me and helped me so much over the years and continue to. Nobody understands OCD ( well my Dad is pretty close and he does understand anxiety lol) like an OCD sufferer. 

Edited by Nikki79
On 29/01/2020 at 06:32, dksea said:

Belief comes in time, for now you just have to act as if it's true.

Hi @dksea @taurean how are you guys today? I had a good day yesterday but just feel a bit tired today and my thoughts are catching me. I don’t want to reread the arid you guys wrote as a compulsion or anything but do you think there is something better I should be doing right now to get to the belief stage? Thanks for your help x

You just need to believe us and not what your automatic thoughts tell you

How are you doing lately Mr @taurean ? How has your new therapy/medication stuff been going? I know we share a very similar theme of OCD, hopefully you've been doing better than a few months back when everything was still quite raw!

I've got my first appointment on 10th Feb with an actual psychiatrist who will be able to put me on meds etc and delve into everything.. finally! And this time I can actually get stuck right into it as I've been too afraid to do so before.. I wanted to ask how you have approached your therapists with regards to Harm specific OCD? I don't want to be scaring them into thinking I'm a silent psychopathic murderer in the very first appointment at least haha!

Hoping you're well.

@Nikki79 glad to see you're doing better too that's great news. You will always have days that are worse than others, but tackling it is the same for each situation.

4 minutes ago, BM94 said:

How are you doing lately Mr @taurean ? How has your new therapy/medication stuff been going? I know we share a very similar theme of OCD, hopefully you've been doing better than a few months back when everything was still quite raw!

I've got my first appointment on 10th Feb with an actual psychiatrist who will be able to put me on meds etc and delve into everything.. finally! And this time I can actually get stuck right into it as I've been too afraid to do so before.. I wanted to ask how you have approached your therapists with regards to Harm specific OCD? I don't want to be scaring them into thinking I'm a silent psychopathic murderer in the very first appointment at least haha!

Hoping you're well.

@Nikki79 glad to see you're doing better too that's great news. You will always have days that are worse than others, but tackling it is the same for each situation.

Hi @BM94 I am really trying but have some wobbly moments for sure. 

You just need to believe us and not what your automatic thoughts tell you. 

It’s the truth to believe you right? I don’t know why I get it in my head that some situations are different. But you will probably remember me from the past talking similarly. I’m sure you have the same experiences? @taurean and @BM94

10 minutes ago, BM94 said:

Hoping you're well.

Take it gently at first and reveal the actual thoughts and images when you are ready to.

My therapist is young but fully trained and I was able to discuss the actual intrusions with her fearlessly. She knows that my true core values remain intact, the intrusions are OCD alleging otherwise. 

It's cathartic to discuss harm thoughts with a therapist. There is no good type of OCD but this is pretty horrible stuff. 

We are working on reducing the compulsions and building up other activities. 

9 minutes ago, Nikki79 said:

It’s the truth to believe you right? I don’t know why I get it in my head that some situations are different. But you will probably remember me from the past talking similarly. I’m sure you have the same experiences? @taurean and @BM94

Of course it is. Especially coming from fellow sufferers who can take a detached view. 

16 hours ago, taurean said:

Of course it is. Especially coming from fellow sufferers who can take a detached view. 

Yeah it’s amazing how not being emotionally detached can you give you that detached view. I’m sure I would feel the same looking at what issues you have. 

It’s almost funny how ten different people can recognize it’s OCD and you yourself can still be so stubborn. It’s weird isn’t it?

Edited by Nikki79
7 hours ago, PolarBear said:

That's normal. Seen it many times. Have had some great helpers here who gave excellent advice but struggled to come to terms with their own disorder. OCD is just nasty.

Do you think that’s part of the disorder too? Also now and again I have found myself stuck on one particular worry as I explained in earlier replies on this thread and that seems to be a theme for me over the years. Again tho people would always say to me but there are just the same as the others, although to me they feel more important. For example what I ended up going to hospital with became unimportant and had no more wings when the current worry took its place. It’s also strange to think the most recent worry came before the one I went to hospital with and was quickly forgotten when the hospital was so distressing in the moment. What do you think of that @PolarBear?

Edited by Nikki79
9 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

It's all normal in an OCD world. Whatever you are dealing with right now always seems more urgent, more real. Until the next one.

Have you also perhaps held on to ‘ the devil you know’ one rather than face the terror of another one? The Nurse told me that was pretty common which made me think she knew what she was talking about.