OCD contamination- when the harm is real? PLEASE HELP

@dksea sorry I meant ERP, not CBT. I see what you’re saying though, and I know it has to come from me making the effort no matter how hard it is to put these thing into practise till it gets easier. I think withdrawal is messing with my head and I’m not thinking clearly enough, only responding to the anxiety right now. I have read a really good CBT book for ocd, and was in a better headspace to start practicing some of the things I learned. I think I’ll re-read it to break through this anxiety. I’ve added a lot more compulsions since then without even realising, I haven’t been very strong recently and ultimately to get better I know I have to be the one to help myself. Don’t want you to think I’m just expecting a therapist to fix me I’m not

23 hours ago, Never-ending said:

I have now stayed in the same clothes the rest of the day so far.. I think I realised what I could do to start slowly.

How do I speak to Ashley? That sounds like a good idea. I am UK based and trying to get into a unit for OCD is a nightmare process. My community health team are awful. 

Really own what you've achieved by resisting the urge to change your clothes again. Taking a firm stance like that really will pay-off for you. I'm glad you're UK based tho'?Here are the charity's contact details:

https://www.ocduk.org/contact-us/

Ashley's helped so many people over the years navigate their way through the system....I'm sure he'll be able to guide and help you.

So update - I’m in a psychiatric hospital. I needed to be stabilised with meds however they themselves have admitted that don’t have the resources to deal with my level of ocd. It’s not an ocd unit. I was distressed and felt as though I’m this state especially, being here with kitchen group cooking as just one example it’s all my exposure fears at once with no therapy so felt counterproductive as I haven’t managed to eat here either other than from the vending machine. They sectioned me for 72 hours bevause I was distressed but today they just rescinded that as I’ll meet a consultant Monday who may be able to help with referrals to an ocd unit. Does anyone have any advice on coping going home? In perpesective home seems so much safer than here which is good but I left home rapidly with ‘issues’ I hadn’t fixed so I will have general things to do such as washing clothes to get back to a routine. The meds will take the edge off the extreme anxiety I’ve had and therefore why I become unable to function but how do I do this in a way that doesn’t look like I’m having a breakdown to my family again. 
you can’t quit ocd instantly, I will have behaviours still but on meds they will be easier to work with on ignoring or letting go of thoughts, to then start cbt waiting for a unit. 
struggking in hospital though with this level of being unable to touch things! 
just wanted to chat if anyone was available or had a similar experience. Thanks 

4 hours ago, Never-ending said:

So update - I’m in a psychiatric hospital. I needed to be stabilised with meds however they themselves have admitted that don’t have the resources to deal with my level of ocd. It’s not an ocd unit. I was distressed and felt as though I’m this state especially, being here with kitchen group cooking as just one example it’s all my exposure fears at once with no therapy so felt counterproductive as I haven’t managed to eat here either other than from the vending machine. They sectioned me for 72 hours bevause I was distressed but today they just rescinded that as I’ll meet a consultant Monday who may be able to help with referrals to an ocd unit. Does anyone have any advice on coping going home? In perpesective home seems so much safer than here which is good but I left home rapidly with ‘issues’ I hadn’t fixed so I will have general things to do such as washing clothes to get back to a routine. The meds will take the edge off the extreme anxiety I’ve had and therefore why I become unable to function but how do I do this in a way that doesn’t look like I’m having a breakdown to my family again. 
you can’t quit ocd instantly, I will have behaviours still but on meds they will be easier to work with on ignoring or letting go of thoughts, to then start cbt waiting for a unit. 
struggking in hospital though with this level of being unable to touch things! 
just wanted to chat if anyone was available or had a similar experience. Thanks 

Sorry to hear that Never-ending! How are you getting on now? Have you spoken to any other patients there? What happened before you were admitted?

I can relate a little to the being unable to do any activities/eat in the hospital as I struggled with 'classes' (e.g. cookery, pottery) when I was at the Anxiety Disorders Residential Unit (OCD unit) at Bethlem Hospital. I could not touch anything (as everything that has been 'handled' is contaminated in my head!) and I could only eat packet food too! I hope the appointment with the Psychiatrist goes well on Monday!

I hope you're ok! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you went through such a stressful experience, but glad to hear that you are getting some help and it sounds like things are at least moving in a productive direction for you.  I don't have any advice on the hospital to home transition other than take it one step at a time and remember you don't have to fix everything all at once.  Best wishes and hang in there mate!

On 25/01/2020 at 23:26, BelAnna said:

Sorry to hear that Never-ending! How are you getting on now? Have you spoken to any other patients there? What happened before you were admitted?

I can relate a little to the being unable to do any activities/eat in the hospital as I struggled with 'classes' (e.g. cookery, pottery) when I was at the Anxiety Disorders Residential Unit (OCD unit) at Bethlem Hospital. I could not touch anything (as everything that has been 'handled' is contaminated in my head!) and I could only eat packet food too! I hope the appointment with the Psychiatrist goes well on Monday!

I hope you're ok! 

Thank you. I went to A&E who referred me to the crisis team who decided to put me in the acute hospital to get me back on meds. The thing is this is literally just one big exposure- I understand what you went through I’m having those same problems here and they don’t give therapy for it. They’re reintroducing my ssri and keeping me on anxiety medication but the meeting with the consultant wasn’t great- they can’t refer me to a unit but they can push my community team to and it gives my case more weight. It’s kind of counter productive being in here but unfortunately my family needed a break from me so I can’t go home right now as they find my ocd too hard. So hoping the meds with ease this particular low point I got to and then increase doses to make therapy I will hopefully receive easier to engage with. 
It’s all a bit complicated and sucks when you know you’re impacting your family but can’t make ocd disappear

On 27/01/2020 at 00:00, dksea said:

I'm so sorry to hear that you went through such a stressful experience, but glad to hear that you are getting some help and it sounds like things are at least moving in a productive direction for you.  I don't have any advice on the hospital to home transition other than take it one step at a time and remember you don't have to fix everything all at once.  Best wishes and hang in there mate!

Thank you, I appreciate that. I’m going to take it one step at a time. If anything it’s perspective as it’s not actually that nice here, the rooms are all anti ligature so the shower head literally faces the toilet and is half a meter away! Now my shower at home seems like a dream... 

7 hours ago, Never-ending said:

shower head literally faces the toilet and is half a meter away!

Hah, I stayed in a hotel in Hong Kong one time that had a similar setup.  The entire toilet room was also the shower.  There was no separate area.  While you were showering the toilet was getting showered on too.  It felt very strange to me, even Japan keeps them apart!  I guess it means you never have to clean the toilet though...

15 hours ago, dksea said:

Hah, I stayed in a hotel in Hong Kong one time that had a similar setup.  The entire toilet room was also the shower.  There was no separate area.  While you were showering the toilet was getting showered on too.  It felt very strange to me, even Japan keeps them apart!  I guess it means you never have to clean the toilet though...

That’s literally what this bathroom/toilet is! Nightmare. Only has half a door to the room too

22 hours ago, Never-ending said:

That’s literally what this bathroom/toilet is! Nightmare. Only has half a door to the room too

Oh no! you poor thing- sounds awful for contamination OCD! 

That's frustrating that they cannot refer you directly to the ADRU or CADAT but hopefully your CMHT will try to rush a referral through. 

Just to say- I would avoid the OCD Unit at Springfield University Hospital if you possibly can. I can PM you more details if necessary.

2 hours ago, BelAnna said:

Oh no! you poor thing- sounds awful for contamination OCD! 

That's frustrating that they cannot refer you directly to the ADRU or CADAT but hopefully your CMHT will try to rush a referral through. 

Just to say- I would avoid the OCD Unit at Springfield University Hospital if you possibly can. I can PM you more details if necessary.

Seems so impossible to get into a unit for ocd it’s so strict. The hospital said they can’t even push for it, it has to be my community team who are lacking. Yes please feel free to PM me, any info is helpful!