Found this on BBC website. My doctor mistook my OCD for paedophilia

its a very distressing article you feel very much for the man involved. It goes to show how much OCD is still such a misunderstood disorder both by the public and health professionals. 

makes charities such as this all the more important to raise awareness and educate people about OCD. 

I thought this was a sensitive, well-written article. It's no wonder that people with this flavour of OCD suffer in silence for so long is it, when these are the kinds of misunderstandings that can happen... albeit rarely, I hope.

This is a huge issue for people with taboo nature of ocd, u know we should just operate on the same level as, not caring about our thoughts and stuff, its mad, how well that serves people LOL, me personally I was the victim of this also, I went to a police station after being sorta emotionally blackmailed into doing so, by a family member when my ocd was not getting better, and was worried about thinggs, i explained things to the police who proceeded to arrest me and use it as a confession! even though i relented numerous times on how i didnt know what was real and what wasnt and the thoughts were intrusive they didnt want to hear that! sadly, i dont even think articles like that will help ur case to the brainwashed, idiotic population that would probably just say we are freaks! i love this site but sometimes we need to stop being so naieve, i wish i wasnt so naieve, years ago.

I am happy to say I have been - largely - OCD free for the best part of a decade now, having suffered badly for the decade before that.  So I haven't been on these forums in a long time.  Couldn't even remember my login details.  I still still support OCD-UK with a small monthly donation, as the site and forums helped me through some tough times, and I hope they exist for many years to come to help others.

As a sufferer/"former" sufferer (it never really goes away) - mainstream news articles on the subject always catch my eye.  As did this one by the BBC, last week.

My blood ran cold reading it. What a truly horrific experience this person has had.  It made me sad, scared, angry.  I had to register an account here as I felt compelled to share my outrage and horror.  Thank goodness for the journalist at the BBC who wrote this.  The bravery and strength of the sufferer and his wife.  So much progress has been made, but we have so, so far to go.

My thanks to 'closed for repairs' for beating me to it and starting this important thread.  And thanks to the BBC not just for commissioning the piece but for putting it on the homepage of BBC News.  It helps set the record straight and - despite sharing the horror of what happened - the articles places the OCD attack and response in context and shows that the system of support needs to, can, and MUST understand and respond accordingly to OCD.  I hope other sufferers reading the piece won't be put off seeking help when their OCD targets them with the most taboo of attacks and instead realise that, whilst mistakes can happen, those who understand and treat OCD know the true nature of the condition and the torment of these most abhorrent and intrusive thoughts. 

Edited by thingie
  • 7 months later...

This is very sad. 
It is pleasing to read that OCD charities seem to be helping people in these situations. Perhaps OCD charities could unite on this issue and work together to help. 

Maybe an OCD fact sheet could be produced for suffers to carry when meeting nurses, social workers, etc. It could bullet point (all fully referenced) explanations of OCD, established evidence about the risk of acting on obsessive thoughts, and reminders from medical bodies about how to assess OCD and address risk. Despite these stories, people who need help still need to seek help.  

It is great that the BBC published this article. I hope the OCD charities continue to help people in these situations. 

Have to admit this is extremely triggering for me.  I agree with the comments on how well the BBC reported on it and gave some hopeful insights for those suffering from taboo intrusive thoughts. I personally feel it presents a huge barrier for people who need and are looking for help. 

I have suffered on the whole since I was 8 but have suffered with sexual intrusive thoughts since I was 17 which is 16 years and can safely say I have never hurt anyone. I haven't openly told my dr other than years back advising I had extremely distressing intrusive thoughts but have had quite a few therapists who I have divulged all to and not one battered an eye lid. I unfortunately had to wait a long time for CBT as none of my former therapists understood it to be OCD and treated it primarily with talking therapy.  Last year I had 7 sessions of CBT which I found extremely helpful and I am waiting again for more. 

I was considering speaking to my dr about this next week and looking for a diagnosis but i am now second guessing it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Poor guy, I know full well what these thoughts are like. My therapist tried to dig out what my intrusive thoughts were and I couldn’t share everything out of fear of reprisal. Mine were a variety of taboo topics which I knew disgusted me and I had no will to carry out. He managed to get me back out riding the waves of anxiety with CBT. I think what helps is knowing there is no silver bullet to end it. You adjust and live on without it consuming you. (Or at least try).