Help with rumination

Hi, new member here.

I suffer from OCD and currently in therapy. However, the rumination aspect of OCD has not been something that has caused me too much trouble. Well until now...

I started to obsess over a certain topic, a topic that I won't be able to get an answer to for over a week. It's been driving me nuts and I don't have any coping methods to deal with this aspect of OCD.

I don't see my therapist for a few days, so I was wondering if anyone here has any coping methods to deal with it? I've looked on youtube and I see things that makes sense, but I try it once and then forgot about it the next hour. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

18 hours ago, dannyefcfan said:

Hi, new member here.

I suffer from OCD and currently in therapy. However, the rumination aspect of OCD has not been something that has caused me too much trouble. Well until now...

I started to obsess over a certain topic, a topic that I won't be able to get an answer to for over a week. It's been driving me nuts and I don't have any coping methods to deal with this aspect of OCD.

I don't see my therapist for a few days, so I was wondering if anyone here has any coping methods to deal with it? I've looked on youtube and I see things that makes sense, but I try it once and then forgot about it the next hour. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Rumination is a very annoying thing, when unwanted thoughts keep popping up in your head to start to feel like you're going crazy and you just want the thoughts to go.

What I have learnt is to not try and push these thoughts out of your mind as the more you think about not thinking about them, the more you will. You need to learn to accept these thoughts, that's a technical term in therapy. Have a look at acceptance. I also find mindfulness really key to helping me mindful of this current moment and not worrying about the past or future, just the present and the sensations you're experiencing.

Hope that helps buddy. Also, try Googling 'worry tree', this diagram also helps. Can you do anything about what you're worrying about, yes or no etc. and is the emotion justified.

If it's any consolation, Danny, much like you I have been ruminating over issues, trying to find answers to things I won't find answers to. I know how pesky it is. In my case, it helps to recognise such unhelpful habits and distract yourself with something that makes you a little happier, though I know this is easier said than done. 

Just give yourself time and be kind to yourself. Remember to do what makes you happy. :hug: