Social Worker calling in on me

Hi guys I’m so distraught I have a Social Worker calling to me tommorow to check on me because of the nature of my OCD thoughts. She called them paedophilic thoughts which I can’t even say myself it distresses me that much. I honestly feel so upset as she is going to have to ask in depth questions on my thoughts and worries and barely even able to cope most days myself anyway although I’ve doing so good on my own to be better. She said she wants to meet with my partner and a parent and might even need to get a letter from my doctor to know my child is safe etc. I can’t believe this is happening. This is so awful for me and feel so distressed because it’s the last thing I need when I’m trying to feel well and cope the best I can. Has anyone been through this? I wish I never went to the emergency department now as I wouldn’t have this distress on me.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should explain that you are - presumably - diagnosed with OCD and this is the, very common, theme from which you suffer. 

Your parent can vouch for that as too your partner and the doctor or therapist. 

Don't be overly concerned. Be strong and answer questions from the point of view that the intrusions are OCD thoughts not reality. 

1 hour ago, Nikki79 said:

Hi guys I’m so distraught I have a Social Worker calling to me tommorow to check on me because of the nature of my OCD thoughts. She called them paedophilic thoughts which I can’t even say myself it distresses me that much. I honestly feel so upset as she is going to have to ask in depth questions on my thoughts and worries and barely even able to cope most days myself anyway although I’ve doing so good on my own to be better. She said she wants to meet with my partner and a parent and might even need to get a letter from my doctor to know my child is safe etc. I can’t believe this is happening. This is so awful for me and feel so distressed because it’s the last thing I need when I’m trying to feel well and cope the best I can. Has anyone been through this? I wish I never went to the emergency department now as I wouldn’t have this distress on me.

Hi nikki

@Ashley may be able to help you with this and give you advice as to how to handle this. Roy's advice is good too just be clear that this is a very common ocd theme. 

Thanks guys. I do have an OCD diagnosis with twenty years and lots of therapy and medication and what not to vouch for it. I know she will be asking me for specific questions so that will be hard but I must be strong. It’s just tough when you are struggling to accept your reality is OCD right now and not what the thoughts are telling you. 

Hi Nikki

What is it/who has instigated this?

Try not to worry too much.  Health professionals have a duty of care to ensure the safety of others, particularly children and it's right that they do.  The problems occur sometimes when that person doesn't have an in-depth understanding of the condition.

This evening make sure you print these two things off.

Sorry I can't find a direct link I can post  but type into Google....risk assessment  and management of OCD online......then select about the third link down from oxfordahsn.org, Open with Drive and print it off.  Also print off this page https://www.ocduk.org/ocd/risk-assessment-in-ocd/

If you have any problems with the Social Worker, contact Ashley

Hope it all goes well

22 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

Hi Nikki

What is it/who has instigated this?

Try not to worry too much.  Health professionals have a duty of care to ensure the safety of others, particularly children and it's right that they do.  The problems occur sometimes when that person doesn't have an in-depth understanding of the condition.

This evening make sure you print these two things off.

Sorry I can't find a direct link I can post  but type into Google....risk assessment  and management of OCD online......then select about the third link down from oxfordahsn.org, Open with Drive and print it off.  Also print off this page https://www.ocduk.org/ocd/risk-assessment-in-ocd/

If you have any problems with the Social Worker, contact Ashley

Hope it all goes well

When I presented to the hospital with my specific OCD with harm thoughts and wondering did I harm my daughter. The Mental Health Nurse recognized it as OCD but she did warn me that the The Family and Child protection Agency in Ireland called Tusla May contact me as duty. They called me last week about an appointment and they ant to meet me on my own and then my parents to vouch for me. I did ask the Social Worker does she know anything about OCD today and explained a little of it to her. She kept saying over and over how it was OCD with paedophilic thoughts so this is why she had to meet with us and possible get references from Doctors etc. When I asked her had she experience with OCD she hesitated and said her Manager does. I believe she is new in her job or relatively new. 

I tried to contact Ashley but he doesn’t take direct messages. 

Edited by Nikki79

Make sure you print off that document and give her a copy.  Tell her you're concerned that people understand properly about how OCD can manifest.

It's unlikely that you'll need any intervention from Ashley at the moment, only if you you find any problems as a result of the meeting, hopefully this will be fine

OCD-UK Contact page https://www.ocduk.org/contact-us/

Thanks for everyone’s support. How do I contact Ashley please?

I also feel my anxiety rising now about what has been worrying me and feel upset by it now and tempted to ruminate. God I couldn’t feel worse right now ? 

Edited by Nikki79

Remember Nikki this is a standard procedure protocol the authorities need to follow. 

Do as Caramoole says. You shouldn't need any more than the advice and documents we and she have provided. 

Think of us being with you in the meeting holding your hand and encouraging you. 

The fact that the lady's boss has experience of OCD is good. 

6 minutes ago, taurean said:

Remember Nikki this is a standard procedure protocol the authorities need to follow. 

Do as Caramoole says. You shouldn't need any more than the advice and documents we and she have provided. 

Think of us being with you in the meeting holding your hand and encouraging you. 

The fact that the lady's boss has experience of OCD is good. 

Thanks Taurean. I just can’t stop crying and feel so exhausted.

Hi Nikki, I know nothing about about Tusla May apart from it being Ireland’s national safeguarding agency. Although OCD UK is a UK organisation, it’s advice is based on NICE recommendations a UK based institution. But NICE has an international reputation for the quality of its advice and recommendations. So it should help along with Ashley’s advice. But are there any Irish organisations that can also advice you? Laws and procedures might vary nation to  nation.

Edited by Angst

OK I am going to share with you the tips my wife used when she had to go for medical treatment, to help with her medical phobias. 

1. Please your partner and folks 

2. Won't be as bad as you think 

3. Forward focus - it will be good when it's over 

4. Do not think any more about it until you have to 

5. Dissociation - think it isn't happening to you, but rather a friend. 

These worked really well for Julie. 

5 minutes ago, Angst said:

Hi Nikki, I know nothing about about Tusla May apart from it being Ireland’s national safeguarding agency. Although OCD UK is a UK organisation, it’s advice is based on NICE recommendations a UK based institution. But NICE has an international reputation for the quality of its advice and recommendations. So it should help along with Ashley’s advice. But are there any Irish organisations that can also advice you? Laws and procedures might vary nation to  nation.

I don’t know but anyway I’m being visited tommorow and not much I can do between now and then. Is there anyone here who has been in a similar position before? I’m hoping she will come meet me and my family and partner who know all about my OCD and then she sees I’m a great Mum who loves my child dearly but I just have a mental illness.

3 minutes ago, taurean said:

OK I am going to share with you the tips my wife used when she had to go for medical treatment, to help with her medical phobias. 

1. Please your partner and folks 

2. Won't be as bad as you think 

3. Forward focus - it will be good when it's over 

4. Do not think any more about it until you have to 

5. Dissociation - think it isn't happening to you, but rather a friend. 

These worked really well for Julie. 

That sounds awesome Taurean. I will use that thank you.

You know sometimes I dissociate from my OCD thoughts. Well if that is just ignoring them that is.

Edited by Nikki79
4 minutes ago, Nikki79 said:

I don’t know but anyway I’m being visited tommorow and not much I can do between now and then. Is there anyone here who has been in a similar position before? I’m hoping she will come meet me and my family and partner who know all about my OCD and then she sees I’m a great Mum who loves my child dearly but I just have a mental illness.

You need to show this to her. 

The authorities are simply doing what they have to do. 

Be calm. DO NOT overthink this or catastrophise - this is simply a process that needs to be done. 

Find something to get busy on. Stop the rumination each time it tries to start up, and refocus back to the activity. 

Might be clearing the kitchen, ironing, reading, watching TV - but something to occupy yourself around any needy childcare. 

I did some hoovering and housework but got sucked into some thoughts I had a few weeks ago whilst ruminating and wondering why they felt so familiar. Ugh I guess if our brains see anything that seems ‘familiar’ or resonates with you it’s harder to get away from ? 

1 minute ago, Nikki79 said:

I did some hoovering and housework but got sucked into some thoughts I had a few weeks ago whilst ruminating and wondering why they felt so familiar. Ugh I guess if our brains see anything that seems ‘familiar’ or resonates with you it’s harder to get away from ? 

Yes but the answer is still the same. Stop that line of thinking and get back to doing other things.