Social Worker calling in on me

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys the baby was teething so not much proper sleep head but I’m guessing my mind is a bit on overdrive also. Unfortunately I don’t have a printer to print the guidelines. 

My partner is going to print the information from work.

Edited by Nikki79
13 hours ago, taurean said:

OK I am going to share with you the tips my wife used when she had to go for medical treatment, to help with her medical phobias. 

1. Please your partner and folks 

2. Won't be as bad as you think 

3. Forward focus - it will be good when it's over 

4. Do not think any more about it until you have to 

5. Dissociation - think it isn't happening to you, but rather a friend. 

These worked really well for Julie. 

I’m reading this intensely now as I’ve been crying this morning but I can’t show weakness today only strength  ? 

Yes that's good to do. 

You can do this. For yourself, your partner and folks, your little one. 

And you have enormous support from OCD-UK and all your friends here. 

Just use your imagination and believe that your best online friends are with you during this meeting. 

3 hours ago, Nikki79 said:

.Unfortunately I don’t have a printer to print the guidelines. 

My partner is going to print the information from work.

You could always load it on screen to show or ask them to refer to the document

"Risk Assessment and Management in obsessive-compulsive disorder"  Authors : David Veale; Mark Freeston; Georgina Krebs; Isobel Heyman & Paul Salkovskis, all leading experts in OCD and anxiety disorders.

Good Luck Nikki, try not to worry.  This isn't really about you as such but a Safeguarding procedure that is being followed

Hi guys, thanks all so much for your support and the meeting I felt went well. I explained to the Social Worker that I’ve been engaging with this website and gave her the risk assessment forms. She was appreciative of that. She spoke with me at length about the nature of my thoughts and then my partner and parents. She felt it was all very positive. She now is writing to my Therapist and GP for more information but I feel it has gone well.

4 hours ago, taurean said:

Excellent. Now, don't worry about it, get on with what we have been telling you to do and don't get sucked in by any intrusions in whatever guise they might come along.  

Still struggling a bit trying not to let in my latest recurrent thought. I have wanted to ruminate in it so bad just to feel some relief but then of course that can go one of both ways it can make me feel worse in that rumination too depending on what thoughts come in and also make it come back worse after. My Dad said today all worries have been the same since twenty years that no matter what they are they are all the same. I’m not guilty. I’m trying hard to believe this given my recurrent worry is so horrible and today has been a very testing day. 

Just fighting to keep ok right now and do the right things but still struggling to believe I’m innocent or don’t have something to worry about. 

Edited by Nikki79
5 hours ago, taurean said:

don't get sucked in by any intrusions in whatever guise they might come along.  

This needs to become your maxim. 

It doesn't matter how intense or how horrible they are, or how bad a reaction they try to create, they are actually mental junk. OCD thoughts are just thoughts, they are not reality. 

So stop that ruminating, and follow the wise words of Roy and your Dad. 

51 minutes ago, taurean said:

So stop that ruminating, and follow the wise words of Roy and your Dad

This! Lol.

I'm sure you've done just fine Nikki and that is absolutely the right way forward. Crack on with everything and all the advice you've been given, in other words, carry on and chin up :)

9 hours ago, Nikki79 said:

She now is writing to my Therapist and GP for more information but I feel it has gone well.

Great, I'm very happy for this outcome.  Now bookmark this thought in your head and if/when OCD tries to tell you to worry come back to this.  You felt it went well, the social worker had a positive response, you did a good job giving her the relevant information.  Its a win.  You can be proud of yourself and tell doubt to go take a hike!

I love ye so much guys. Thanks so much for your support. I have had a funny morning with thoughts and I actually wrote an entirely different post and have managed to rise above the intrusion and think I can’t do these wonderful people on this forum a disservice and must work harder to practice what has been said. I’m getting there. 

Edited by Nikki79
1 hour ago, Nikki79 said:

managed to rise above the intrusion and think I can’t do these wonderful people on this forum a disservice and must work harder to practice what has been said. I’m getting there

Woop woop!

This is awesome, keep pushing onwards. :)

7 minutes ago, Nikki79 said:

I think I deserve that as much as anyone else here, at least I hope

Everyone deserves an OCD-free life.... I cant even tell you haha.

I've been having some bad days recently, just letting things get right on top of me in me brain lol, but always nice to know I can always pop on here and talk with others about it :)

11 minutes ago, Nikki79 said:

Ten intrusions later and I’m still pushing on  ? Would love now to get past this and truly accept my OCD. I think I deserve that as much as anyone else here, at least I hope ? 

Whether it's one or ten intrusions it is still OCD and if you push on and don't give it power it will lose strength. 

You know that because you have been told it.

You have heard the talk and now you need to keep walking the walk ?‍♀️

The thoughts don't come because you have a case to answer. 

The thoughts come because you, and we others, are sufferers from OCD and are paying attention to them, believe them and so suffer anxiety, carry out compulsions - and this sets up a maintaining cycle of distress. 

I am glad Julie's 5 point programme helped you on the run in to yesterday's meeting Nikki. 

Here are a couple of other points that may help. 

The OCD takes an inch and makes a mile through lies falsehoods exaggerations catastrophising. 

When we apply what we learn from CBT we gradually build up a programme of turning the miles back into inches, then away down to a level whereby, if they do occur, they can easily be dismissed. 

It won't happen if we don't learn to apply, and maintain, a process of ignoring, not connecting, not believing and not compulsing. 

You asked if anyone has been through this & I have with a friend who did & I was with her. She got a lawyer who explained her rights & what to do & she won. In California it’s called Parental Evaluation.  I don’t know why taureen feels otherwise when the question you asked was if anyone has been through it before. 

Because we aren't in the U. S. and have a different system. 

And this would have put far too much meaning into what was simply a checking out and understanding process. 

How we advised Nikki, and what she took to the meeting with the materials provided, provided a low key but helpful environment for the social worker to understand Nikki's issues, then approach her medical advisers.