Corona/covid19/Sars2

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Really surprised about the fact that there is no thread about this virus.

I am not even worried about my own situation but both my parents are older and my mom have asthma. It's not lile I have that many contacts beside them so it will suck to lose them both or even one.

Also have everybody with obsessions about germs now just decided/got convinced that their fears have been real and stopped worried about it being OCD? 

How are you coping, what will you do if it hets worse?

Its a virus, viruses exist, always have, probably always will.  Some people will get sick, most of those who do will be fine, some sadly will be not.  No different from any other illness really, the seasonal flu is the same.  COVID-19 is scaring people because its a little different than what people are used to, but it is what it is.  Take reasonable precautions as you would for any illness and you'll probably be fine.  There have been worse, far worse viruses before and human kind has kept on going.  It will be sad for all those who lose loved ones to this, but it would be sad regardless of the reason, and as mortal beings there will ultimately always be a reason why we stop.  Thats just the nature of the universe we exist in.

We, like any other worrying issue, have a choice. 

We can allow ourselves to be run ragged by worry. 

Or, as Dksea said, we can just take sensible precautions, and then refuse to worry about something over which we have no control. 

I know which route I am taking. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
6 hours ago, dksea said:

Its a virus, viruses exist, always have, probably always will.  Some people will get sick, most of those who do will be fine, some sadly will be not.  No different from any other illness really, the seasonal flu is the same.  COVID-19 is scaring people because its a little different than what people are used to, but it is what it is.  Take reasonable precautions as you would for any illness and you'll probably be fine.  There have been worse, far worse viruses before and human kind has kept on going.  It will be sad for all those who lose loved ones to this, but it would be sad regardless of the reason, and as mortal beings there will ultimately always be a reason why we stop.  Thats just the nature of the universe we exist in.

30 times more deadly than the flu

I'm sure lots of us are worried by this, and I'm sure it's triggering some peoples OCD, 

But let's face it OCD doesn't work on a rational basis, so mine is going mad about the fact that everyone is using tissues,(instead of just sneezing) and the bins are full of tissues, and it's a fire risk, I'm determined not to go round emptying every ones bins, but it's hard!

Edited by Closed for repairs

As a lot of other users have said, unfortunately, there are risks in life and we cannot change the fact that there is the virus, what we can do is look at what we can do to prevent it spreading. I.e. treatment, self-isolation and look at how to prevent viruses in the future.

It is difficult and hard for those who have been affected, but in the UK, there are other viruses more likely to cause infections and illness, such as the winter flu.

We can all play our part in washing our hands, not obsessively, but just regular hand washing and throwing tissues in the bin. That is the advice of Public Health England. Even in the event you didn't do this, you are unlikely to get the virus, as only 13 people have been confirmed with the infection, but it obviously makes sense to follow the advice the NHS and PHE have published.

I'm worried about it too OCDhavenobrain. Like you I have parents in their 60s with underlying health conditions and one of my brothers and I are both asthmatic. I think we'll probably be okay but who knows! I have contamination OCD, which generally focuses on Norovirus and in some respects illogically I would be more anxious if there was a huge Norovirus pandemic with coverage in the News etc. but the fact that this is deadly makes it more scary logically.

I woke up with a sense of impending doom about it this morning, particularly as both my Mum and Dad work in busy settings with contact with a lot of people. I've also got a really bad virus at the moment with a chest-infection like cough and in irrational moments I'm worrying whether it's Coronavirus! 

Hand hygiene is supposed to be key to preventing the spread of this virus but I think 100x a day (my current no. of daily handwashes!) is plenty!

Edited by BelAnna
5 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

30 times more deadly than the flu

No, that is not accurate. We know the flu fatality rates with a high degree of certainty because we have decades of data and detailed models to identify it. 
We do NOT know the actual fatality rate of COVID-19 at this point. We do have a rough idea of the upper bound based on known fatalities and known infections, but the key there is known. Early on this number is almost always higher than it ultimately turns out to be. Why? Because people with mild symptoms or no symptoms aren’t getting counted.  There has also been a shortage of testing kits. The number of active infected is almost certainly higher, possibly much higher than reported infected. They are mostly identifying the upper end, the people with more severe symptoms (because that’s who goes to hospitals). 

It is factually inaccurate (and not at all helpful to anyone) to claim the fatality rate is 30 times more than influenza. 

My fear is some kind of human extinction at worst maybe this is the disease? I fear isolation or borders being closed. Work places becoming shut food shortages and conditions never seen like it since the war. They say there is more cases outside China now so we are all doomed.

1 minute ago, Phil19 said:

My fear is some kind of human extinction at worst maybe this is the disease? I fear isolation or borders being closed. Work places becoming shut food shortages and conditions never seen like it since the war. They say there is more cases outside China now so we are all doomed.

this is massively catastrophising

apart from anything the vast majority of people including children who catch the illness fight it off and are fine

The Ireland v Italy Six Nation Game has just been cancelled. Stock markets around the world are in decline because of supply chain problems with so many components coming from China. So markets are responding to a perceived threat. I wonder if the flu rate mortality rate is known with any accuracy? Out of the way places might not have the medical or statistical gathering apparatus to gather data. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
1 hour ago, Phil19 said:

I am sorry that 2020 turned out bad really quick. But what do you do? 

However it is nice seeing I am not the only one with OCD thinking about this. Mostly worried not that anxious. I had a theory that people with OCD have gone full denial of their OCD and got convinced that this was the proof that OCD is true.

6 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I am sorry that 2020 turned out bad really quick. But what do you do? 

However it is nice seeing I am not the only one with OCD thinking about this. Mostly worried not that anxious. I had a theory that people with OCD have gone full denial of their OCD and got convinced that this was the proof that OCD is true.

And I haven't. 

As someone who, as a child, was told that I might have just a five minute warning of extinction by nuclear bomb. 

And ran the gauntlet of likely terrorism attacks all the time I was working in the City of London, I learned to be pragmatic. 

And what if there is another asteroid impact such as created the bay of Mexico and allegedly wiped out the dinosaurs? 

Or the delicate stand-off of nuclear war is breached? 

I am not losing any sleep over that. Nor should anyone do that over the coronavirus. 

What will be will be. 

31 minutes ago, paradoxer said:

How about keeping the threads on topic. Not yet another cliched thing sufferers might catastrophize about. 

I am sure that the moderators would delete/hide anything seen as inappropriate or against forum rules.

Or do you mean it has it triggered your OCD, & you are thinking of others, & upset? 

6 hours ago, Phil19 said:

Inaccurate. There were more NEW cases outside China yesterday than in China.

I was speaking to my very good friend who is a senior pediatric nurse yesterday. She said it has been blown out of all proportion (which I knew anyway) and that it's all scaremongering at its finest. I know we shouldn't reassure but she said, factually, it's nothing more than a mutation of the common cold. To put into perspective, you have more chance of getting ill from seasonal flu or a regular cold. Also if you look at statistics, many, many more have people have died from seasonal flu or other illnesses. I do wonder what the agenda is and why this is being pushed by the media so much...

13 minutes ago, Saz said:

I do wonder what the agenda is and why this is being pushed by the media so much...

Its new and unknown and therefore scary.  I don't think we need to look deeper than that. 

12 hours ago, felix4 said:

I am sure that the moderators would delete/hide anything seen as inappropriate or against forum rules.

Or do you mean it has it triggered your OCD, & you are thinking of others, & upset? 

I don't care about triggers on this forum, if they come they come, they're not to be avoided anyway. I wasn't suggesting anything as doctrinaire as 'rules' - my objection is that because the Coroanvirus is a 'real world concern', having it here, just muddies the waters. It's as though someone decided to discuss the vagaries of contracting HIV or cancer. This is an OCD forum, not a general physical health forum. 

2 hours ago, dksea said:

Its new and unknown and therefore scary.  I don't think we need to look deeper than that. 

Yes that is just me being me and thinking out loud, I question lots of things. I can completely see how this topic would trigger and worry people, my post above was just trying to put it in a little bit of context. X

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I was forced to go and write in a course today. One guy was coughing all the time, for hours, on the train people were sneezing. Rude and stupid.

I will buy my last things tomorrow and stay home, biggest problem is cononvincing my parents.... They would be the first ones not wanting to go out but nooo. 

7 new cases in Sweden now.

And this is nothing like influenza, much worse.but yes influenza is bad too!

Edited by OCDhavenobrain