Constantly self critisizing how I look...

This is a slightly different concern of mine, yet something that has bothered me greatly (and seems to be getting much worse) over many years. 

In a nutshell I am hating more and more the way I look, mainly my face. I am obsessed with it not being at all symmetrical, especially my eyes but it can be anything from my teeth or smile not being wide enough to my cheeks looking lopsided, to the wrinkles on my forehead. The bizzare thing is my focus can shift on a weekly bases. I am getting to the point now were I feel I need surgery or botox or fillers ...something I've always been against! I feel I know I'm being a bit irrational and I know also that I'm very, very lucky in that I am healthy (for the most part) and nobody ever said I was ugly but I'll be honest I'm struggling. I hate getting my photo done and can spend ages over analysing it. It sounds so vain but it's not, I hate feeling this way. Truth be told of course I'd never get surgery because what kind of example is that setting to my kids but I hate that I feel not pretty enough. Anybody else experience this? X

51 minutes ago, felix4 said:

Hi Saz,

It might be worth having a look here, https://www.ocduk.org/related-disorders/bdd/

All the best!

That was a very interesting read felix. I'll be honest every sentence in that could be talking about me! It actually made me realise that there isn't one part of my face that I haven't obsessed over... I used to have an obsession with my eyelashes, thinking one side always looked more full than the other, same with my eyelids, almost forgot about my nose.... I've always wanted a slighltlt bigger, pointier nose! Who even wants a bigger nose!! The main issue is with things not being equal or symmetrical. I have wasted countless hours focusing on these things I'm ashamed to say :( It didn't help I got my passport pictures done this week and I couldn't believe what I was looking at! I felt so puffy in my face and looked like I had aged something terrible. Then today a friend had asked me to model some jumpers for her business and I felt like crying. I wear glasses most of the time and when I took them off I felt disgusting and thought I'm never not wearing them again! Sorry I know this pribably sounds so petty and actually I know this is nowhere near as bad as my other fear but it's so time consuming and fear it's getting worse in a daily basis. X

1 hour ago, Caramoole said:

How do you think you could deal with this Saz to improve the problem?

That's difficult caramoole, I feel perhaps trying not to focus on things and spending time looking and analysing myself is a good start... I worry its going to take a lot to undo this way of thinking x