OCD and Coronavirus

1 hour ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

If other people are feeling uneasy about their inactions because one individual takes actions that is their problem.

And don't be complacent. It is a real threat. I will keep doing my things, because of some funny reason do the authorities say the exact things today that I told myself for weeks ago. 

I am not sure if something is being lost in translation, so I apologise if I am misunderstanding what you are saying.  But I think from what you're writing it seems to me that the uneasy feeling we have with your comments is because you seem to be promoting the fact you're happy to engage in compulsions that you have been doing for a long while, because that's the current advice.  Which would be a case of using Coronavirus as an excuse for engaging in OCD behaviour. As an OCD recovery forum that's actually not ok.

Of course, if we are all carrying out hand washing behaviours because the government recommend it, without feeling compelled to do so because of OCD anxiety then that's fine, we can all pledge to carry out non-washing behaviours once the threat from the virus has passed, and it will pass.

It's important to be clear about what we are doing and why, and be honest with ourselves,  is this behaviour because of practical government advice or because my OCD compels me to complete this behaviour. 

Like I say, sorry if I am losing your meaning in translation somewhere.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for me, the real worry is my Dad. I've ordered him not to get it (as you do :D ). That said, more people who have got the illness have recovered than those who have died - over 60,000 to just under 5000. I think part of the panic is the social media hype; there are kids who you just know would love the excuse for school to shut, kids who are worried for their education and are being put down for it and loads of inbetween.

I think Tom Hanks' post about getting the virus has been wonderfully chill. He's just taking it one step at a time, he has an adorable Wilson ball that someone had made for him and the photos of him in quarantine are of him looking relaxed. I hope he'll be alright, and his wife too, 

Let's just wash our hands, support each other and take each day at a time. And have some chocolate. :D 

C x :hug: 

How do you get your mind on other things? For the last 3 days I can't get my mind off this thing.   I am anxious and am hyperaware of any body sensations in my chest or throat that may mean I am infected. I can't concentrate on anything.  I am trying to watch other stuff on tv but coronavirus and afraid of killing my mother with it (and HOCD sometimes) is all I think about. 

How do you get your mind of an OCD subject is arguably a question you've asked many times Dave.

That's not me trying to be ride, but I want to help you understand how OCD works, so you can start moving forward.

This is OCD, how it works is to make us focus on one problem. Your long standing main fears now morphing to something currently more significant. The point is, the techniques for coping with OCD are interchangeable as OCD shifts.  For a long time we've tried to help you understand much of these techniques, but you've allowed yourself to do the wrong things every time. Ruminate, research, post on forums, read the wrong stuff.

Can you see how all the things you've done in the past might have led you to this thread and worry today? 

But...

How do you get your mind off coronavirus? You don't, you simply do the right things, wash hands appropriate times, 20 seconds and no more... after that we leave it to fate if the virus will grab us. If it does, it does, cant change that.  So it's ok to worry, but get on with your day regardless and try not to let OCD make the worry hill a worry mountain. 

23 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Dave, are you finding your previous worry taking a backseat to the coronavirus worry? Like it might come back for a while but it doesn't take hold?

I am thinking all the time about coronavirus but I still get spiked by pictures of men on facebook adverts for exercise contraptions and get groinals.  It still freaks me out.  Then more life or death realities occupy my mind in terms of coronavirus.   I'm not so much worried for myself but for my mum.

Ashley is right. We can simply follow the advice provided in our society. Singapore, in particular,  and Hong Kong,  have had lower than expected spread of the virus even with high population densities because of government policy and societal response to the policy. There is significant locational variety in the spread of the virus. For example, policies of social distancing, containment in specific areas, the tracing of links in the early stages, the rapid building of secluded medical treatment centres, the extent of testing. I would say it is not so much fate but policy and societal response. At least to a considerable extent.  But the effect is the same.  So our individual response is limited in the societal context. So do you best and switch attention and enjoy the things that you and your family enjoy.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

As long as you do the things out of something else than anxiety and irratonal fears it is ok. But yes I do understand that it's tricky. Not touching your face and washing your hands seems fine to me.

If you want to be a prepper then go for that.

Also acceptance is good, as said in the thread.

On 11/03/2020 at 11:58, Ashley said:

I thought I would share this from one of our followers on social media replying to one of our posts on the subject. I thought she made a fascinating point that the population are acting because of a global crisis, and how that's how she's behaved, like she was in a serious crisis, for years, but for her the imagined crisis.  Such a lightbulb moment can really be a catalyst sometimes for making changes (arguably this is the perfect time to engage with a therapist or implement previously learned therapy). Never ignore the lightbulb!  

Screenshot_20200310-184645_Instagram.jpg

I had a similar thought.

I thought I was doing really well with this until a few days ago. Several things have combined to make me more stressed and suddenly my OCD is back with a vengeance and I had my first proper panic attack for ages. Now I'm afraid to mix with people in case I have the virus and make them ill or worse. I feel ill and am finding it hard to breathe, but I think it is anxiety as it eases when I do manage to distract myself.

I have removed the last few posts on this page because of obvious reasons.  Left yours Cub, but slightly out of context, but I think we can relate to lack of some products that some with OCD feel they need. So Happy for the conversation to continue on that basis. :) 

Cub, hope you managed to get loo roll!

Lost, I hope you're ok!

I'm starting to struggle more with this! I'm mostly scared about my parents catching it. I live in the same way as those told to 'self-isolate' already so there's not much I can do! 

I've convinced my Dad to stop work from next week as he's in the high risk category for age and underlying health conditions but my family's financial situation means my Mum needs to work despite being at risk! I'm just hoping that everything gets shut down soon and that all mortgage companies/electricity providers etc. have to put things on hold too!

Edited by BelAnna

Yesterday Zoe and I tried to create a page with some practical ways to help ourselves during this ongoing public health crisis (from an OCD perspective). Not all will apply to everyone, but hopefully they help (feel free to suggest additions).

https://www.ocduk.org/ocd-and-coronavirus-top-tips/

Overnight, inspired by a social media post a friend placed (not OCD related) about what we can still do, I placed a similar version on our  page, and sometimes when we are struggling with OCD, any OCD, any time, not just now, this can be helpful to remind ourselves... 

Can do.jpg

Hi all,

I'm very honest in saying that I felt OCD free for such a long period of time, accepting fear and looking forward to the future. I credit a lot of that not only to therapy, but to meeting a wonderful girl, who has turned my life completely upside down for the better.

Alas with this virus, it has me back on the forums as I'm becoming very anxious once again. The reason isn't myself getting the virus, but I'm utterly terrified of my girlfriend getting it. She is a bit younger than me (28) but has had underlying health conditions to do with her kidneys, of which she has made a recovery, but her kidneys will remain damaged. This isn't helped of course that I might be carrying the virus without me knowing for days, as has been mentioned on the news.  

She is also concerned of course, and is now working from home, and basically self isolating. I however am not, but taking every necessary precaution by washing my hands more than regularly. I broke down crying about my concerns to her, and she reassured me she'd be ok, and fight it hard. She was also being realistic in that she could contract it anywhere, that the likelihood of getting the virus was small, and that she should pull through if she were to contract it. But even in her demographic of 20-29 y.o, where 99.8% of cases see the patient make a recovery, I'm still nagged with doubt as whether her problems would see her fall in the 0.2% category. I keep having these thoughts of seeing her in a hospital bed clinging to life, and it really upsets me. Mainly because it could happen. Of course this isn't helped by the number of cases rising, and that at work the radio is on, and I hear a news bulletin every 30 mins. Today I've completely avoided the news entirely, focusing on what can be done to protect myself and others, as well as the chores and hobbies that need doing. 

I'm trying to remain calm, and it is difficult for everyone not just OCD sufferers, but my anxiety is back quite a lot. Perhaps trying acceptance of the thought of my GF falling ill or worse would be easier on the nerves, I don't know. I would like to think I'll be back to 'normal' once the spike of cases eases, it's just hard currently. 

Edited by Imhotep

Well, after being quite blasé about this whole thing - because I spent years dealing with contamination OCD and felt like I'd been there, done that, and brought the t-shirt - I'm now anxious as you please. My workplace is going to close to the public on Tuesday for a while and today at work, I started to struggle. I was feeling tense and anxious about everything that lies ahead and my OCD got spiked and I seem to be in a ruminative system about some old stuff. I know hearing voices is part and parcel of the course but today just got a bit ridiculous. I was feeling anxious about everything and I basically got into a spiral, down to ruminating over small details about small things that don't really matter.

I know how silly I sound; I know this is the last thing I or anybody else needs right now but I'm just fretful over my state of mind. I think I need a snooze.

C x

Wanted to add this to the forum. I must admit I feel less self conscious to wash my hands lots now others are doing so. A society change now maybe? Feel free to debate the above tweet.

Edited by Phil19

I have already advised Jeremy (which he acknowledged) to be careful how he uses the word OCD in his show. I pointed out that OCD means people can't function, impacts on families and careers.

People think because they're hand washing more often this is OCD, it isn't and the moment this crisis is over most of them will stop, so it's not OCD.  Equally, somebody with OCD (contamination fears) would be thinking about hand washing long after they have stopped the washing, most without have an urge to wash their hands, wash their hands briefly but get on with their day, and most likely would not be full of severe anxiety or dread should they not be able to wash their hands. 

16 hours ago, Caramoole said:

Slight edit in a heading

Challenge your OCD in other ways (you've got is instead of in)

Oh thanks Caramoole, I must admit we had planned the page for a couple of days but with some much going on we put it together in the last 30 minutes before Zoe finished on Friday.  May be other changes needed, feel free to tell me!  

Sadly our inaugural parents workshop planned for next Saturday is almost certainly going to have to be postponed for a month. We had spent much of Friday exploring all options for delivering electronically, individually but we don't think the alternatives would work, but we have given the event the weekend to review the latest situation and see what else we can do.  From my point of view I do have a duty of care to my staff (and attending guests). But if we/I take the decision in the next couple of days our venue should be flexible and we will get everyone on the workshop the moment the threat as passed.  Hopefully end of April or early May.

Really interesting thread written last night by the European editor for the Telegraph and is based on what happened in Italy. I don't normally advocate trigger warnings, but on this one occasions during this crisis I will hide the actual facts behind the spoiler CSS because the facts are scary, but the reason I am posting is because it's clear evidence of the main at risk group. 

Spoiler

Somewhat scary, but the facts are clear, the risk for those under 50 is practically zero (underlying health issues may increase risk, but even then seems to be 0.1%), small risk 50-70 bracket, the main at risk group are those 70+.

The thread mirrors overnight supermarket and government advice that stockpiling really is not required. If we all get what we need for the week, then there will be more than enough for everybody.

Those in the non-risk groups can do our part, by not stockpiling and make sure our family and friends know that you're a real douche if they do stockpile!

If things do get worse here, as in Italy, but this part is important to note, it's not yet certain it will, but if it does we need to ensure we help the at risk family members, neighbours and friends so they can self-isolate safely and reduce the risks to themselves.

I suspect the government will make clear what we can do to help the at risk group self-isolate, but off the top of my head (and I am not a medical expert), I think the following are common sense suggestions (I reserve the right to edit if the government advise alternatively). 

i.e. Offer to do their shopping so they don't have to go out, make sure they stay in other rooms whilst you bring the shopping to their doorstep (ideally without touching handles). You stand well back so you can ensure they safely retrieve and take the shopping inside.  Ensure your loved one knows they should wash their hands after putting shopping away (before they touch their mouth or nose). If they have to go out (i.e. GP/Hospital appointments) make sure they can be driven by you to avoid public transport, go with them to open doors etc.   If you have any cold like symptoms at all, do not do their shopping or drive them, ask another family member living in another house to do it.

The real facts are scary, but the British media like to paint a picture that we are all doomed, it is scary, but we're not all doomed. We can help minimise the problems by focusing on those facts and for the most part ignore the picture the British media are painting.

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

for the most part ignore the picture the British media are painting.

What I mean by this, even images they use are scaremongering.  I saw an image with a media report this morning of a girl in a supermarket using her scarf like a mask. Not only does that offer negligible benefits, I assume once it gets a tad wet from her own breathing it may even pose a bigger risk. Thew same with some of the paper masks we have seen in the news for weeks now.  

The problem is people see those images and assume that's the new protocol so rush out and do the same. 

A well known GMB broadcaster seemed to advocate it was sensible to stockpile 2-3 weeks worth of essentials on Friday night. That's really not ok, it's scaremongering. 

Slightly off topic... but I hope when this thing passes the regulators look at the role some (most) of the media and some broadcasters have played, in my opinion they have causes more panic and harm than good.