OCD and Coronavirus

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Lost222 said:

i have tried therapy and OCD but never found it helpful, i'm just grateful to have the support of my family. I'm just tired of having to deal with it all.

Thank-you

Unfortunately it's really common for people to have bad therapy experiences, but it shouldn't stop you trying again with it. It might not be practical to look in to face to face therapy right now, but in the mean time there's some excellent self-help books, one called Break free from OCD, is particularly good. It's available as an ebook so you could download it today. 

I understand how tired you feel, when my OCD was really bad it was truly exhausting. Remember to reach out on here if you need some support :)

12 minutes ago, Gemma7 said:

Ok so you've done a compulsion and feel worse, that's to be expected. Just be kind to yourself and try to make a different choice next time xx

Thanks Gemma xx I always get into a real pickle once I start analysing my emotions so just going to ride it out and let them be whatever they are! 

12 minutes ago, Lost222 said:

i have tried therapy and OCD but never found it helpful, i'm just grateful to have the support of my family. I'm just tired of having to deal with it all.

Thank-you

sorry you're struggling so much Lost222. Like Gemma I would really recommend Break Free from OCD. Just because therapy hasn't worked before doesn't mean it won't in the future - you can get past this.  

reach out to the forum any time you need some support x

7 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Thanks Gemma xx I always get into a real pickle once I start analysing my emotions so just going to ride it out and let them be whatever they are! 

You need to notice yourself analysing too and stop before you end up where you have to ride it out. Feelings are like thoughts, you can't help how you feel and judging yourself for it is no good to anyone. 

Second day of working from home and I am struggling so much that I ended up having a minor breakdown and freaking out my manager by telling her over Skype that I was suicidal. She advised me to take half a day’s sick leave.

5 hours ago, Gemma7 said:

There's nothing awful about what you're feeling GBG. There are some positives, like community spirit, less pollution. Don't try to feel upset and anxious, people will feel all sorts of things and shouldn't be guilted into feeling how anyone else wants them to. 

I agree being kind to yourself is so important?

I hope you're all doing alright.

I'm feeling ashamed because in this current lockdown, I'm not doing too well. I wanted to use this time to catch up on my writing and cross-stitch; instead, I've been triggered by a conservative Christian webcomic and I'm now perpetually anxious; this is Day 3 of it, just starting.

I'm sorry. I know everyone's got their issues right now and if it feels like OCD, it probably is. But I'm quite frightened, to the point of feeling sick. My dad has offered to come and get me but I wanted to do this on my own  and not risk passing anything onto him (I've been surrounded by thousands of people in the past few weeks). I just want to feel normal again but I don't know if what I'm experiencing is a normal spiritual journey, or anxiety and I can't get anything done. I'm trying to leave the webcomic alone; it raises some valuable theological viewpoints but it also borders on being homophobic/transpobic and I don't want to be that sort of Christian. I don't want to take guidance from someone like that on my own spiritual journey and I just feel so confused because it all feels so real and I don't know if God is trying to tell me something, or even loves me anymore. It's just a bad mixture; spiritual confusion with this lockdown and I'm scared enough as it is. 

I know I have to feel the fear and do it anyway, but I just feel overwhelmed by it all. I'm trying to minimise all of this, but I'm scared right now and could do with a big cuddle. The fear has got me paralysed, thinking that everything I do to escape from this is sinful and wrong, and leaving me with nothing to provide solace in this difficult time. I don't want to waste time worrying and feel like I'm losing my mind. 

Gah. Sorry to toss all of this into the ring. I know it's a stressful time for everybody. I just want to forget about it all for a minute and do something else. 

C x

Author of this excellent book, Dr Lauren Callaghan, is sharing daily advice for coping, including some CBT based suggestions, via her Instagram account. With her kind permission we're reprinting all in one place on our website here (from where you can also directly link to her account) - https://ocduk.org/ocd-covid19-laurencallaghan/

PullTrigger-OCDUK.jpg

All mobile phone users should, apparently, be receiving through their networks  a text detailing the government's rules on activities and safeguarding. 

These are being I understand sent out in batches - haven't received mine yet. 

My OCD is kicking off right now because I combined my shopping with walking and ended up being out longer than anticipated as I went to the big shop which was further away than I thought. I'm terrified of having been lasseiz-faire and putting someone else at risk even though I did my utmost to stay away from people! 

Also, don't do what I just did aka buy two hunks of meat and drag them all the way back! Came back feeling strained and sick! ? Silly me! 

Another great post with excellent advice from Dr Lauren Callaghan overnight (sorry forgot to post until now). https://www.ocduk.org/ocd-covid19-laurencallaghan/

Snippet: Whilst it may not have been your preferred option, an exposure opportunity is still an opportunity, and you can’t get much better than a pandemic for a ripe exposure setting!

Okay, I'm really worried.

My landlady is a nurse at a prison. She gave me a hug this evening during a chat about my mental state in lockdown and now I'm terrified I might have picked something up as obviously prisons are difficult. I've been doing so well and now I'm just wondering if I need to stay away from people as I might be seeing my Dad in the next few days and I don't want to pass this on to him.

Oh, Lord. I should have refused the offer for a hug but I was in a state. I know I've been in the house with her for the past few weeks; her and her whole family - have I completely messed up? My landlady has been suitably blasé about all this and I was just so relieved for the comfort. I don't want to put anybody else at risk. 

:( 

C x

Try not to worry Cub. I know this is reassurance but sometimes we all need it. 

She's a nurse so will be careful at work. Arguably, prisons might be safer with less people movement.

Should you isolate from your dad? Yes, not because of the hug, but because that's the advice we've been given!  Even if you'd not hugged your landlady we are advised to stop visiting people, including family.

I'm feeling a bit scared tonight. My parents (whom I live with) both have coldy symptoms (sneezing, sniffles, cough) and I'm so scared they're going to get seriously ill. They're both over 60 and my Dad is 65 with CVD. 

My brother almost definitely has it (cough and high fever) but he lives 300 miles away and seems to be getting better now.

We've been trying to be optimistic and enjoying a long walk each day and box sets at night but now I'm catastrophizing and fearing I could lose one of them. 

Help! 

(Also Ashley sorry I realise I forgot to reply before- hope you're feeling better now!) 

Edited by BelAnna

Yes, you are awfulising and catastrophising, BelAnna. 

Plenty of colds and flu around at the moment. 

Why not just calmly tell yourself that they have cold symptoms, and try and shift your focus away? 

2 minutes ago, taurean said:

Yes, you are awfulising and catastrophising, BelAnna. 

Plenty of colds and flu around at the moment. 

Why not just calmly tell yourself that they have cold symptoms, and try and shift your focus away? 

Thank you! that's a good idea- I'll try just to assume they've got colds for now. :) 

16 hours ago, Ashley said:

Another great post with excellent advice from Dr Lauren Callaghan overnight (sorry forgot to post until now). https://www.ocduk.org/ocd-covid19-laurencallaghan/

Snippet: Whilst it may not have been your preferred option, an exposure opportunity is still an opportunity, and you can’t get much better than a pandemic for a ripe exposure setting!

I will not be following Lauren’s advice. The policy is to wash your hands for 20 seconds not 15 seconds and I shall follow that rule when I return home from an infrequent supermarket shop or visits to my pharmacy. I ration my time reading coronavirus news by reading a paper online, local evening news bulletin at 6 in the evening and Channel 4 news at 7. I distract myself by viewing box sets and reading unrelated stuff. I sincerely believe that we should follow government policy. 

Edited by Angst
13 minutes ago, Angst said:

I will not be following Lauren’s advice.

Thanks for sharing.

13 minutes ago, Angst said:

The policy is to wash your hands for 20 seconds not 15 seconds

But as I wrote a few weeks ago, right now our problem is OCD, and we must not lose sight of that do what we need to that both protects us from a virus and allows us to challenge our OCD. Whilst following government advice is always recommended, if washing for 15 seconds allows me to challenge my OCD I will do that, and not by intent, I have most likely been washing my hands 15 seconds always, I don't stand there counting the seconds and I am fairly sure I have not done 20 seconds at all, but that's just me.  As it happens I just did a quick google and the evidence suggestions 15-30 seconds is adequate, but 20 seconds was widely recommended. The 15 seconds is the lathering part from what I am reading. 

But we all have to do what we think is right for us.