Hi all, I have contamination ocd and it’s really intense at the moment, I’ve been prescribed Sertraline, but don’t feel it’s helping, my OCD has gone on for 25 years plus. Does anyone else have this type, and if so what meds helped you. I am paying to see a psychologist at the moment as the wait on NHS is 40 weeks. I was on paroxatine before but was told it had probably stopped working for me. I feel so hopeless and my confidence has gone completely. Thanks x

It can take up to 12 weeks to feel the full effects of an SSRI, even then you might need to adjust the dosage to different levels to get full benefits.  So its important to base your expectations on that.  As long as you are not experiencing significant or intolerable side effects its likely your doctor will recommend you continue taking the medication until you have reached that length of time.  Of course you can still also meet with your doctor and/or therapist in the meantime to work on CBT related strategies to also help.

Medication will not cure OCD.  At best it may become asymptomatic or mild while you continue to take the medication, but its very likely if/when you stop your symptoms would return.  Its probable it will only reduce your symptoms and/or make them less frequent.  You should still pursue CBT as a means to help manage your OCD and improve your overall situation.  OCD is, at present, considered to be a chronic condition, you will likely have it all your life, though that doesn't mean you have to suffer from it or be controlled by it that whole time.  CBT and medication are both effective in reducing symptoms and allowing sufferers to get on with their life.  But you need to put in the therapy work consistently to achieve long lasting results in most cases.