Phobia of batteries.

I have a fear of where my old phone batteries have been as if trace elements remain and I fear washing with soap and water doesn’t make me feel any better about it.

I guess some batteries have lithium (?) in and some people take it as a medicine (?) but don’t know about other stuff in the batteries.

Just had to vent as I have been suffering in silence on this particular fear for a while now.

*brain lock*

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I don't know if your batteries are having nasty things inside them like cadmium or anything and it is not that important to know.

That's the problem, you can't know and you want to know. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
14 hours ago, daja said:

I have a fear of where my old phone batteries have been as if trace elements remain and I fear washing with soap and water doesn’t make me feel any better about it.

I guess some batteries have lithium (?) in and some people take it as a medicine (?) but don’t know about other stuff in the batteries.

Just had to vent as I have been suffering in silence on this particular fear for a while now.

The most direct way to deal with this would be to intentionally touch the places where the batteries have been and do nothing about it.  Set it up as an ERP exercise.  Set time limits and such if you need to, but directly confronting this anxiety is the quickest way to move past it.

Like all OCD fears, treat it as irrational and unimportant (because it is) and do your best to go about your life in spite of the anxiety.  The less you try and fight the anxiety and resolve it with compulsions, the better.