At what age did you get OCD?

How old were you when OCD symptoms started to majorly impact your life?

Do you remember what life was like, before OCD?

My OCD started during childhood trauma - I think it was a stress reaction. I was about 12.

The worst OCD symptoms were between age 14 and 25.

My earliest memory, I was about 4 I think, was of me measuring if my jacket's sleeves were the same size. As I child I wouldn't eat anything prepared by anyone other than my mother and didn't like eating in other people's cutlery as I always thought it wasn't clean. After that, it's a bit of a blank and my ocd spiked after my parents divorce. I understood it really impacted my life when, last year, I missed my bus as I couldn't leave the house because of my routines. 

I always knew there was something there when I checked (and eventually broke) all the doors to see if they were locked. I would keep my phone away from me at night as I thought something bad could happen. This started from when I was as young as I can remember.

When my intrusive harmful thoughts came in around 2016 when I was about 21 that's when it started having a major impact on my life, and I realised it was something a bit more serious than just checking doors. 

A relatively short space of time compared to some who have suffered with it for decades!

Do you guys think you're doing better with access to a forum like this? I feel so much more in control of it now thanks to some supportive people on here.

25 minutes ago, BM94 said:

Do you guys think you're doing better with access to a forum like this? I feel so much more in control of it now thanks to some supportive people on here.

Completely! In real life, I don't know anyone who suffers from ocd. It's nice to know we're not some freaks, and that there are more people out there who understand what we go through. I think this forum is very beneficial. And we also learn from other people's experiences ?

47 minutes ago, BM94 said:

I always knew there was something there when I checked (and eventually broke) all the doors to see if they were locked. I would keep my phone away from me at night as I thought something bad could happen.

Same for me!

Guest dimmerswitch

I probably, in hindsight recognised OCD traits from being around 10 onwards. The breakdown period, I can’t think of another way to put it, but that happened when I was 23. I thought I was mad, a monster for having such thoughts. There was no access to anything like the forum, and it was a very frightening and lonely period. It wasn’t until I was in my mid-thirties that a Nurse said the three letters, OCD. Bizarrely, I thought, I don’t have that, I don’t do this, that or the other (OCD media cliches). I did feel some sort of relief at finally having a name to put to it.

I still struggle. Daily. I come on here and offer support where I can...the very reason this forum exists. I’m in my 50s now, so I better get used to it as it’s going nowhere.

That is best advice I could offer anyone of us. It’s here, it’s never going, allow it to be here, it’s the way we react which feeds it.

I've had OCD for as long as I can remember, since I was about 4 or 5. It caused me a lot of inner distress but life was generally fine, I did well in school, had friends and nobody was concerned. It wasn't until I was 20 and alone at uni that it really hit me hard and I couldn't cope anymore, that is when I got a diagnosis and started getting help for the first time. I think it all came to a boiling point at that age because I suddenly realised that all these thoughts (which I'd had forever) weren't normal and I thought they were dangerous and I panicked, which made everything worse. 

Looking back I can see that tendencies were there in childhood, and I certainly had BDD from a fairly young age, but for me OCD properly set in when I was twenty. 

I wish with every part of me I could go back to before that moment?big hugs to you all :hug:

Guest dimmerswitch
38 minutes ago, afmoon03 said:

Looking back I can see that tendencies were there in childhood, and I certainly had BDD from a fairly young age, but for me OCD properly set in when I was twenty. 

I wish with every part of me I could go back to before that moment?big hugs to you all :hug:

Me too. To live without it, but it’s never going to happen. A great sentiment. ?

I believe I was 13 when it happened, maybe 12, I'd have to double check, but it was pretty sudden in how rapidly things changed.  I have some memory of what it was like before the OCD.  In retrospect I may have had some slightly OCDish behaviors, but nothing that would have risen to the level of needing therapy or medication til that point.