Sign in to follow this  

Sharing my thoughts is this ocd or just irresponsibility? 

I sent this to my friend who is a nhs 111 call operator:

Hey mate I don’t want to hog up another 111 line but I need to know whether M and I need to self isolate? We are fine kids are fine (they live with us 50% of the time and their mum 50’%). We saw them last night. Yet their mum has symptoms which came on this morning. Kids were back with her when she developed the symptoms so they are all in 14 day quarantine. Do we need to now stay in as we had contact with the kids and If so how long? Xxx

HER REPLY...

No if no symptoms fine only when you do self isolate but ideally everyone should be staying in but no need to self isolate yet xx

I WENT OUT TODAY AND NOW IN MY HEAD (IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT ME) HOWEVER IF A MOP PERSON IVE SEEN / COME INTO CONTACT WITH GETS SERIOUSLY ILL OR DIES ITS MY FAULT AS I KNEW KIDS WERE SELF ISOLATING 😢☹️😵

5 hours ago, Handy said:

98% survive it. 

1.  We have no idea what the actual survival rate is at this point, don't offer guarantees when you don't have the facts.

2. This is OCD, simply trying to throw facts at it won't work.

9 hours ago, Petal said:

Sharing my thoughts is this ocd or just irresponsibility? 

I sent this to my friend who is a nhs 111 call operator:

Hey mate I don’t want to hog up another 111 line but I need to know whether M and I need to self isolate? We are fine kids are fine (they live with us 50% of the time and their mum 50’%). We saw them last night. Yet their mum has symptoms which came on this morning. Kids were back with her when she developed the symptoms so they are all in 14 day quarantine. Do we need to now stay in as we had contact with the kids and If so how long? Xxx

HER REPLY...

No if no symptoms fine only when you do self isolate but ideally everyone should be staying in but no need to self isolate yet xx

I WENT OUT TODAY AND NOW IN MY HEAD (IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT ME) HOWEVER IF A MOP PERSON IVE SEEN / COME INTO CONTACT WITH GETS SERIOUSLY ILL OR DIES ITS MY FAULT AS I KNEW KIDS WERE SELF ISOLATING 😢☹️😵

I'm sorry to hear that your kids and their mom are having to quarantine.  That is understandably scary.
Unfortunately there is a lot about COVID-19 that we don't know yet, but we do know that limiting contact with others is helpful in preventing the spread.
You asked a question and were given some good professional advice, work on following that advice to the best of your ability, but its going to be virtually impossible to completely isolate anyone including yourself.  Unless you were uber prepared you will likely need to get supplies occasionally, you'll need to get out of the house even if just to go for a walk alone in the woods, etc.
Its a good idea for everyone to be self isolating and social distancing right now, but you might still interact with others even at a distance, during that time.  
You are allowing OCD to create an impossible standard and set up some extreme circumstances that you would somehow take complete blame for.  Thats not how the world works.

12 hours ago, dksea said:

1.  We have no idea what the actual survival rate is at this point, don't offer guarantees when you don't have the facts.

2. This is OCD, simply trying to throw facts at it won't work.

The topic is about self isolation facts. I’m in a city that quarantines possible covid 19 patients & they don’t even test them.  The county has 5 cases & 2 deaths reported. No that’s not 2% but that’s because they don’t test. In places where they do test, 2% is quite accurate. Ocd responds to facts that’s what CBT is about. 

No, that is NOT what CBT is about. Never has been and never will. Logic does not work well with an illogical disorder. 

Handy CBT is about adapting behaviours to best cope with your thoughts I.e. intrusive thought appears, don’t behave by responding, behave through distraction and letting it pass by not reacting.

True PB I think we know deep down the logic as all on this forum have a logical brain as well as an Ocd brain, we know it’s not logical I.e what we’re convincing ourselves has happened and deep down we know it’s not true that we have acted on the intrusions hence why they are labelled false memories however that doesn’t stops the distress or overwhelming feeling that it’s real. When I’m in panic I try to use my coping mechanism.

Whats bugging me at the moment is that I have had these thoughts especially in light of everything dear to me I.e loved ones, incl children and my career xxx

On 23/03/2020 at 15:56, Handy said:

Ocd responds to facts that’s what CBT is about. 

With other anxiety problems then CBT does look at things like evidence tables to ascertain risks and help a person confront their fears.

But with OCD a good therapist shouldn't really use evidence tables because OCD thrives on uncertainty and no amount of facts will satisfy the OCD. 

So even if your 98% claim of survival is accurate, which we will never know because millions are not tested and the final count may take years, OCD will simply focus on the 2% and convince us it's a 98% certainty. 

On 22/03/2020 at 17:49, Petal said:

That's OCD talking and what do we know what OCD does best? it lies!!!

Some with Coronavirus will come into contact with others and they won't become infected. But some of us will unwittingly be carrying the virus and we will pass it on, unwittingly.

But, none of us will be deliberately setting out to infect someone, so no matter how guilty OCD makes us feel, go back to my original point, OCD is one big fat liar! 

It's not your fault, or mine, or anybodys. 

On 24/03/2020 at 00:56, Handy said:

In places where they do test, 2% is quite accurate.

Nope.  Not remotely.  I have a professional degree in this area, and I can tell you that you are absolutely wrong to claim this. 

On 24/03/2020 at 00:56, Handy said:

Ocd responds to facts that’s what CBT is about. 

Again no, not even close.  That is not what CBT is about and if OCD responded to just facts none of us would be here.  OCD is the opposite, it distorts our understanding of facts, it undermines our ability to analyze risk logically.  

5 hours ago, Petal said:

Whats bugging me at the moment is that I have had these thoughts especially in light of everything dear to me I.e loved ones, incl children and my career xxx

Its absolutely understandable to be anxious right now, and that is also likely to exacerbate your OCD.  Its hard enough to deal with OCD when the world around us is mostly "normal" but its even more challenging now that the world around is isn't normal!  But you can do it, we all can.  

Work on accepting that you can't control everything, that you can only do your best. 
Work on accepting that you can't be perfect, none of us can.

OCD demands impossible standards, you don't have to live up to them.