Things to Keep Us Occupied and Distracted

Hi y'all

We're all in a bit of a weird situation right now, I know. I've been struggling with my anxiety; I think it's the same with all of us. I feel quite anxious today, but that's okay. I thought we could use this thread as a kind of...distraction session? Recommend things that could help us to feel better, and will take our minds off the issues at hand; I'm up to my eyeballs in religious fears right now and my chest is tight, but I think I just need to take my mind off them.

So - I'll start. For self-care, definitely recommend the following: take a shower, first thing in the morning, and keep having breakfast. I don't know about anyone else, but when I wake up full of anxiety, I try and tackle it straight away even when grimy, and I forget to eat. I've found starting the day with that will help; it introduces a kind of productivity in itself. I've also been writing a lot of poetry about how I've been feeling; one poem a day. Also, remember to keep your room clean. It creates a much sweeter working space. 

For distractions, I recommend the 2011 film Fright Night, starring Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin and David Tennant. It's a wonderfully absurd film, but I enjoyed it. It's horror, but in a funny sort of way and David Tennant and Colin Farrel wander around a lot in exposing clothing. In case you need an extra incentive. :D 

I also recommend the Calm app, which I am doing every day. You can download it for a free 7-day trial; it's 28.99 a year and I think I'm totally down with that, because it's just brilliant. It gives you soothing sound effects, bedtime stories, helps you with your breathing; the works. I would definitely give it a go, if you can. 

Keep it up, guys. We're going to be alright. I'm going to watch Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for a bit. :D Drop your suggestions below!

C x

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a project to work on in the garden, creating a rockery and shrubbery, and planting a cherry tree. 

We got in all the materials and plants, and this will keep us going off and on for a while. 

I’ll be decluttering and homeschooling my little one when I’m not in work. 

I may, not promising anything, but may get some trainers online and start doing exercise ???

I have deliberately been saving up some domestic paperwork to do as I sensed lockdown was imminent. 

Did a little this morning. 

We are off out shortly for the exercise walk Boris is allowing us - just the two of us ☺️

It's a long walk past mainly bungalows but some semi-detached houses, and it is gorgeous sunshine and blue sky today. 

And my fitness watch has just notified me that on that walk we walked 0.93 of a mile. 

Hardly anybody out and about this afternoon, which is good. 

Pleasingly we have an excellent weather forecast for Northampton for the remainder of the week, so at least we can get into the garden, which will defuse feelings of being cooped up. 

7 hours ago, BelAnna said:

Thanks for the lovely ideas. 

I'm finding DuoLingo a useful distraction/calming tool.  :) 

This is a good idea, which language are you trying out? 

I've signed up for some online study courses at Future Learn. The site has compiled a list of free courses to keep people occupied during the lockdown which you can find here. 

I'm trying Irish, a language I've always wanted to learn. :)

Good luck with the languages BelAnna and Snowbear. 

I am reading a lot of downloaded books, enjoying plenty of recorded and broadcast music, and we have a big project to work on in the back garden. 

And I have been taking lots of photographs before lockdown, on both the phone and my large Canon Bridge camera, so there is plenty of work to do using tools to enhance the images, and sort them. 

We have put series links on Virgin Media TV through our TIVO box, so our favourite series of the moment are automatically recorded. 

We have sky cinema too which is useful right now. 

Edited by taurean
11 hours ago, Storm said:

This is a good idea, which language are you trying out? 

Thanks Storm, I'm learning Scottish Gaelic and beginners Spanish. I've used DuoLingo for other languages in the past but you do have to read up elsewhere for some vocab/grammar too.

4 hours ago, snowbear said:

I've signed up for some online study courses at Future Learn. The site has compiled a list of free courses to keep people occupied during the lockdown which you can find here. 

I'm trying Irish, a language I've always wanted to learn. :)

That's cool Snowbear. Yay for Celtic languages!  The verb-subject-object word order takes a bit of getting used to. I will take a look at Future Learn.

2 hours ago, taurean said:

Good luck with the languages BelAnna and Snowbear. 

I am reading a lot of downloaded books, enjoying plenty of recorded and broadcast music, and we have a big project to work on in the back garden. 

And I have been taking lots of photographs before lockdown, on both the phone and my large Canon Bridge camera, so there is plenty of work to do using tools to enhance the images, and sort them. 

We have put series links on Virgin Media TV through our TIVO box, so our favourite series of the moment are automatically recorded. 

We have sky cinema too which is useful right now. 

Thanks Roy- I'm enjoying it so far.

I love landscape photography- at least you will get a chance to take some nice pics during the daily permitted walk! 

8 minutes ago, BelAnna said:

Thanks Storm, I'm learning Scottish Gaelic and beginners Spanish. I've used DuoLingo for other languages in the past but you do have to read up elsewhere for some vocab/grammar too.

That's cool Snowbear. Yay for Celtic languages!  The verb-subject-object word order takes a bit of getting used to. I will take a look at Future Learn.

Thanks Roy- I'm enjoying it so far.

I love landscape photography- at least you will get a chance to take some nice pics during the daily permitted walk! 

Yep I am on the case with the landscapes - reckon pictures of people are out for the time being :(

Edited by taurean

There is a chilly easterly wind, blowing down the axis, back to front, on which our bungalow is built. 

But fortunately a bank of trees beyond the bottom of our back garden is providing shelter, so we should be able to work out there this afternoon and take tea on the patio. 

Some apps for helping sleep that I discovered whilst googling.

Relax Melodies. Android: Free. iPhone: Free. ...

Sleep Cycle. Android: Free. iPhone: Free. ...

Recolor. Android: Free. iPhone: Free. ...

Sleep Time. Android: Free. iPhone: Free. ...

Pillow. iPhone: Free. Share on Pinterest. ...

Relax & Sleep Well. Android: Free. iPhone: Free. ...

Digipill. Android: Free. iPhone: Free. ...

Good Morning Alarm Clock. Android: Free.

Edited by taurean

I just tuned into YouTube and watched half the Azerbaijan virtual grand prix. 

It's very realistic. There is the usual qualifying then a 14-lap race of which I have watched the first 7 Laps and will watch the remainder later. 

It's very realistic and Sir Chris Hoy and Ian Poulter are amongst the drivers racing. 

I've been going to the woods by our house. I was looking up a lot today, noticing the world around me; I was looking at the heights of the trees and how high up they went and wondering if squirrels ever felt scared when they're jumping from tree to tree, if they're aware of how high they are. I was once bitten by a squirrel; they're sharp little nippers.