Things to Keep Us Occupied and Distracted

Do the squirrels do a lot of jumping from tree to tree? 

I think there are, additional to the usual grey ones, specific tree-abiding squirrels that have fleshy "wings" attached to their limbs, rather like a skydiver's wing suit. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Cub said:

OKAY THIS IS EMBARRASSING

I just remembered that Ashley and taurean are two different people! :lol: My bad!

Very different people, but united on a lot of things :)

Flushed with her success, after a number of lessons, in learning her way around the Virgin Media TV system and land-line and our message system and wireless handsets, Julie is now moving on to the laptop and mobile (also virgin on a Sony Xperia L2). 

I just took her through, and she made notes on, the processes on the mobile to switch on, and access the browser then call up the, bookmarked, BBC Northampton weather. 

Well done Julie. She has been a technophobe for far too long ?

One way we can get through the day currently is to stretch out what tasks we do have available to us. 

E. G. There might be (depending of course on personal circumstances) no necessity to clear up the kitchen in one go, answer outstanding correspondence in one go, clean the home in one go. 

Edited by taurean

Well done to Julie- that's great, and will be so useful. 

Hope you've both had a nice day Roy. 

I spent five hours cleaning the kitchen yesterday and it looks so much better. My OCD had been preventing me from cleaning it properly because I felt things were too contaminated to deal with so I had about 10 empty bottles of handwash (I get through 1 in the kitchen a day) and several bottles of Persil on the side of the sink; disgusting slime over the sink area (which was a constant worry!) and lots of caked on stuff. I chucked those out and bleached it. Mopped the floor and it now feels so much less revolting! 

On 30/03/2020 at 08:19, taurean said:

One way we can get through the day currently is to stretch out what tasks we do have available to us. 

E. G. There might be (depending of course on personal circumstances) no necessity to clear up the kitchen in one go, answer outstanding correspondence in one go, clean the home in one go. 

I need to clean the bathroom tomorrow Roy, I may stretch that out to last the day. Or put it off until last minute and rush around in a frenzy. 

1 hour ago, taurean said:

I have discovered a rich seam of fishing programmes on catch up TV. 

So, whilst my actual personal fishing exploits may remain on hold for the time being, all is not lost :fishing1:

Ooh what are you watching? I used to love the John Wilson fishing tv show. I quite like River Monsters too but not sure it qualifies! 

I expected to be having a real problem with lockdown. 

But the government backed down from requiring over 70s without specified vulnerabilities to lock down for 3 months: and we have a spacious bungalow with large back garden, plus are allowed to take one exercise walk a day. 

But like everyone else, I can't wait for things to get back to normal. 

I'm glad you have what you need, Taurean. :) I hope one day things will return to how they are; I miss the cinema and going for long, long walks and meeting up with my best friend. Look after yourself. ❤️ 

I'm working from home, have been for 2 weeks now but finding it so hard to adjust and focus. My work has suddenly gone from being quite active to suddenly sat at a desk all day. Still, I'm appreciating the lack of commute and getting to cuddle the guinea pigs while i work !!

I'm find crochet really eases my anxiety when I feel overwhelmed.

That's okay, bookworm. That's absolutely fine. This has been a massive adjustment for everybody; it will take time. We start off determined, then we lag and then it's like 'Oh no!' Glad you have your guinea-pigs to keep you company!

Recommended song of the day: Faithful by Go West. It's not a religious song; it's about fidelity, but I think as an expression of personal values, it's a fantastic kick in the face to all the worries that have haunted me in the past week. Also, it's well bangin', yo. :lol: 

I went out for a bit of a walk this morning and wow, the birds were singing so loudly. I live in London! Less planes to drown them out, I guess, and much less traffic. But it was a very lovely sound to hear. Nature goes on ?

5 minutes ago, bookworm30 said:

I went out for a bit of a walk this morning and wow, the birds were singing so loudly. I live in London! Less planes to drown them out, I guess, and much less traffic. But it was a very lovely sound to hear. Nature goes on ?

I've noticed that too. I open my window in the morning so I can listen to the dawn chorus in bed.

2 minutes ago, Wren said:

I've noticed that too. I open my window in the morning so I can listen to the dawn chorus in bed.

It's so lovely. So therapeutic.

The "big smoke" is not the "big smoke" right now - the air smells cleaner and stars are clearer at night too. 

I worked in the "big smoke" all my adult life, but we did live near green spaces. Moved back to the Midlands (where I was brought up) upon retirement. 

Just going for my walk shortly as Julie is setting herself up for a gardening session. 

Birds here mainly woodpigeons crows blackbirds Robins and magpies, with some tits and wrens. 

We have a bird feeder and feeding area, with a birdbath, in our garden here and love to watch them all. 

Going to put my hearing aids in so I get full birdsong ?

Edited by taurean

I have been struggling during the day a little bit, but my family and I always have dinner and a film together every single night and it's nice; a slice of normality that takes us away from all of this. ❤️ 

Got out my latent chef persona this afternoon, and cooked chicken in pineapple, with mushrooms, and served with baby New potatoes. 

There was an hour of preparation and frying, then another hour cooking in the oven in a casserole. 

Really enjoyed both the cooking, then the eating. 

Well we are well on the way to three weeks in a, potentially longer, lockdown. 

And by carefill spreading tasks out thinly I still have lots to do at home. 

Plus I haven't yet started on re-learning how to play Ukulele, and practising playing my keyboard. 

Nor creative writing. 

Morning all. Resisting doing my OCD compulsions today. Really struggling on that term but I am feeling good in terms of everything else. Got up early and have been watching church service online.

I am trying to accept the OCD thoughts I am having, and not give in.