Put on a smile!

Hi folks! :)

When I returned to the forum yesterday after a break I noticed that when you bring up the 'commonly used' emoticons the sad face was first on the list!!

So I thought we should find reasons to smile and share them here, maybe with a smilie face or two added :) so that smiles outnumber sad face usage on our forums. (And because smiling and being positive is good for our health, obviously.) :)

I'll start us off with a reason to smile - We have each other for support and social contact in our online community. :) 

Over to you...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I think snow bear being back on the forum is a big reason to smile!! 

:a1_cheesygrin: Thank you!

I'm doing well. Hope to catch up with everybody over the coming days. :) 

4 hours ago, Avo said:

Nice to have you back on the forums snowbear.

17 minutes ago, Gemma7 said:

Welcome back Snowbear :):):)

Thank you both. :) 

A baby forsythia shrub, planted in my garden last spring, has come out in a host of bright yellow flowers. It's still only 12 inches high (will grow to 6 feet or so when mature) but every millimetre is currently covered in flowers! Big smile from me. :) 

17 minutes ago, VNDO said:

I planted strawberries and this morning they had flowers. That made smile ?

Ok I will sound stupid now... strawberries have flowers? It's ok you can all laugh at me I don't mind :D 

Just now, Ashley said:

Ok I will sound stupid now... strawberries have flowers? It's ok you can all laugh at me I don't mind :D 

I didn't know as well ?  The flower comes first and after a few weeks, it will turn into the strawberry. They're really pretty ?

Great idea, snowbear.

Well it makes me smile to look at that huge plush emoji wearing a gaming headset I got a while ago (a gift from my mom) ? I generally love emojis because they are a good replacement for facial expression now we use text based communication so much. ?

35 minutes ago, Ashley said:

You mean I am technically eating flowers with my cream in the summer months? ?

Also eating flowers with your crumble/ pastry, flowers on your chips when you add ketchup, flowers in your sandwiches... Come to think of it you are a flower murderer! :ohmy: 

Protect the flowers! Stop eating fruit and veg! :lol:  

:smileys-gardening-291500:

5 minutes ago, snowbear said:

Also eating flowers with your crumble/ pastry, flowers on your chips when you add ketchup, flowers in your sandwiches... Come to think of it you are a flower murderer! :ohmy: 

Protect the flowers! Stop eating fruit and veg! :lol:  

:smileys-gardening-291500:

?

This might raise a smile. 

Julie and I are in the process of watching a recording of a TV programme that is seeking to prove that Donald Trump and Henry VIII had a lot in common. 

And they really do seem to have ?

Both were second sons who were not expected to inherit their father's "crown". 

Both divorced their first wives and married their mistresses. 

Both wanted to be king and outshine their fathers. 

Both were not willing to in any way play second fiddle, at any thing, to their wives. 

Both proved to be ruthless in getting rid of people that didn't suit them. 

What else might you consider that they also had in common? ?

51 minutes ago, taurean said:

This might raise a smile. 

Julie and I are in the process of watching a recording of a TV programme that is seeking to prove that Donald Trump and Henry VIII had a lot in common. 

And they really do seem to have ?

Both were second sons who were not expected to inherit their father's "crown". 

Both divorced their first wives and married their mistresses. 

Both wanted to be king and outshine their fathers. 

Both were not willing to in any way play second fiddle, at any thing, to their wives. 

Both proved to be ruthless in getting rid of people that didn't suit them. 

What else might you consider that they also had in common? ?

They inherited great wealth, and built lots of "palaces". 

They had a keen interest in sports. Henry hunting and jousting, Trump golf. 

Edited by taurean

Really good to see you back Snowbear. 

You will be pleased to hear that Julie and I have these two gardening projects  which will keep us going a while. We moved, in retirement now, to a bungalow in Northampton a couple of years ago. 

J is working herself, with just shifting of stones and digging help from me, on repairing our front garden hedge - she has some new hedge plants - and creating a new border with mini wooden stockade edging. 

In the rear garden we are creating a rockery and shrubbery down the left border (currently in stasis with weed-suppressant membrane covered by AstroTurf) . Before lockdown we assembled all the materials compost and plants required for the project. 

And we can make the projects last quite a while, and sit in the garden enjoying the spectacular views it has, and the visiting birds to the nature sanctuary we have had constructed as part of the landscape gardening which, last year, completely reconstructed the garden. 

I think gardening will be a saviour for many, and not just the elderly. Time for more younger people to get going in their gardens? 

Edited by taurean
12 hours ago, taurean said:

I think gardening will be a saviour for many, and not just the elderly. 

I think so too Roy. I'm really counting my blessings having the garden and allotment to escape to (apparently that's still permitted for the time being). My heart really goes out to anyone confined to a flat particularly if they have children, that's going to be *hard* work.

My reason to smile today is my mother finally (after 2 years of promising) managed to email me photos of her garden. Truth be told the garden itself is a huge letdown after years of imagining it from our phone discussions. :lol:  But hey - she worked out how to add an attachment to an email so that's worth smiling about. :) 

I try and make it my business to be happy, and my wife is a great example. She has always been a happy person, it takes a lot to get her down. 

And watching her today pottering about in the garden, literally as happy as Larry, made all the troubles and traumas of managing to make our move here from the South to the Midlands so so worthwhile ?