From the cupboard concoction

Thanks to an idea from Twitter I made a risotto with random ingredients from the cupboard and it is actually surprisingly nice! I made the base of the risotto using normal rice and a tin of tomato soup (of all things). Then basically chucked in what I had... Some sweetcorn, cashews and a frozen salmon fillet. Added some stock then grated some cheese through it. 

Really good but made far too much! 

27 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

but made far too much! 

I have struggled with the making far too much (for 1 person) for a while.  I have been using some of Alice Liveing's recipes from her book which can be cooked in the evening for dinner, but then stored in the fridge and make perfect lunch or sometimes little of the leftover with salad for two days.

I had started doing that with lots of fresh food about 3 weeks ago, but since then the world went a bit crazy and it's hard to stay on top of all the ingredients i need to make that work as well as it was.

Would soup be really thick for risotto?

Today's very random concoction from the cupboard:

tin of mixed beans + the rest of the sweetcorn from last night + salad dressing (made of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a bit of sugar)

surprisingly nice, filling, healthy and cheap! 

as an aside, I think this has been really good for pushing me to be more conservative with my consumption of things, to make do with what I've got in, etc. It seems like a lot of people are similarly changing their habits.  Hopefully that will stick. 

48 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Today's very random concoction from the cupboard:

tin of mixed beans + the rest of the sweetcorn from last night + salad dressing (made of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a bit of sugar)

surprisingly nice, filling, healthy and cheap! 

as an aside, I think this has been really good for pushing me to be more conservative with my consumption of things, to make do with what I've got in, etc. It seems like a lot of people are similarly changing their habits.  Hopefully that will stick. 

Sounds lovely GBG, I’d deffo be more than happy to eat that.

i agree, I’m not just grazing or chucking food away as it feels a little “unsafe”. Plus we are making the most of food that we have. Last night it was a small pie with mash gravy and veggies and a little left over mac and cheese. So random but everyone was fed. 

9 minutes ago, Storm said:

Sounds lovely GBG, I’d deffo be more than happy to eat that.

i agree, I’m not just grazing or chucking food away as it feels a little “unsafe”. Plus we are making the most of food that we have. Last night it was a small pie with mash gravy and veggies and a little left over mac and cheese. So random but everyone was fed. 

That sounds yum storm! Send some my way? :D 

Thinking I was being clever, I stepped outside of Julie's shopping list at the Co-op and also bought some celery. 

When I got home she was cross because we already had a pack of celery in stock, and it doesn't keep too long. 

She was going to make a stew today. Guess which ingredient is going to dominate the stew ?

Well this will be from the freezer and the cupboard. 

Tonight I will be preparing a "salmon surprise" using salmon fillets from the freezer. 

The surprise is that, at the moment, even the cook has no idea what he will serve with it, what sauce he might make, what herbs he might use. But there will be some mixed salad accompaniment, and a little touch of black pepper from our grinder. :chef:

I did a whats in the cupboard stew on sunday. Chickpeas, lentils, onion, garlic, celery (Roy)! Roasted aubergine, rosemary and sage from my green wall, chilli powder and garam masala. I also had a go at flat bread which is flour, olive oil and water but i added a bit of salt and nutmeg to add flavour. Needs a tweak but the stew is nice ?