Liverpool OCD Support Group Discussion

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me just an increase in my checking, feel like more responsibility as we both have laptops computers in the house working from hone so making sure we are locked up etc and just a Generalised increase in anxiety overall  

2 minutes ago, Hippo said:

My plan is stubbornness I think! Ocd is not taking back the peace of mind I’ve fought for. I know how effective the tools are and I try always to use them on every little thing which mostly keeps the big stuff away (for me) and the stuff that does then affect me isn’t as bad if you follow me - the peaks are lower than ever before. 

Stubbornness against the OCD is a great tool to have in the locker at any time Hippos, even more so now  :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

Thanks Cath.

Dave, oh yeah I’m still going to get my shopping but once I’m done I head straight back home. Although I have gone on a few walks too and there’s hardly anyone around. But i do give every item I shop a quick wipe with a soapy disinfected sponge or a spray of anti bac, but only foe a few seconds as I don’t want it to become an OCD style ritual and i’m succeeding quite well with it. 

6 minutes ago, shaun flanagan said:

But i do give every item I shop a quick wipe with a soapy disinfected sponge or a spray of anti bac, but only foe a few seconds as I don’t want it to become an OCD style ritual and i’m succeeding quite well with it. 

I think this is important to not let the OCD get hold. :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

I am not sure what the government advice is at the moment about washing groceries, I think other than for those at risk I have not seen anything.   I do wash my hands for 20 seconds when I come in from the supermarket, then put my groceries away and then I might wash my hands for another 20 seconds but I don't always do that.  

From an OCD perspective the best advice we can offer right now is try (where possible) do what is recommended and nothing more. But if we do slip and do that extra clean/wash it's important to not feel guilty and if we can try and not do it next time :)

Sorry everyone, I’ve got to go. Hang in there, we can beat this. Actually, participating on here has been another breakthrough for me. I hope to see you all soon, Ros 

1 minute ago, shaun flanagan said:

He asked me if I felt vindicated! I said no because it’s not really something to gloat over. 

That sort of is the theme for an article published yesterday where some guy says we should all be a bit OCD.  When actually, the odd hand wash is nothing compared to the daily rituals and thought bombardment we endure with OCD.

I agree Shaun and there’s a whole world of difference between people who are doing their cleaning now and those of us who experience excruciating anxiety in normal times if we don’t clean

Just now, Hippo said:

Sorry everyone, I’ve got to go. Hang in there, we can beat this. Actually, participating on here has been another breakthrough for me. I hope to see you all soon, Ros 

Take care Hippo :)

3 minutes ago, shaun flanagan said:

Ashley you’re spot on there. It is important to try to keep this virus issue and your ocd as separate as possible. I also wonder how many people will start developing actual and severe OCD as a result of this.

So far we don't think many will develop OCD (without prior symptoms), but we will and are seeing people slipping badly from those with existing OCD.  That suggests some with unrecognised OCD (mild traits) at this stage may start to develop more obvious OCD soon.

What we do suspect is that for many frontline NHS staff we will see a rise in general anxiety, PTSD, depression because of the things they are facing. So certainly charities like our friends at Anxiety UK will see service levels rise in the months ahead.

2 minutes ago, shaun flanagan said:

Ashley you’re spot on there. It is important to try to keep this virus issue and your ocd as separate as possible. I also wonder how many people will start developing actual and severe OCD as a result of this.

I thought that and then I wondered if we would just have a lot of people claiming to know what it’s like to have OCD ?