Liverpool OCD Support Group Discussion

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I'm sure frontline staff will see a rise in mental health difficulties. Hope they receive support and funding for this

Yep. Sadly that may mean a knock on delay for the rest of us accessing MH services. Whilst I am at a stage in life with my OCD now I would be ok waiting if it meant frontline NHS staff are prioritised, but I know many others with OCD have already waited months and still not accessed treatment. I am not sure how those in that boat would feel?

Cath

Well as I now have two separate ongoing OCD issues - one that’s been running for just over 5 years and the ‘new’ one that started early last year I wouldn’t know which one to try and tackle first. Hmm..probably the first one as it has weakened quite a bit. As for my hierarchy i’d always go with the least strongest then work my way up the ladder.

Dave, they’re linked only because the ‘new’ issue is very similar to when I first developed ocd proper in 1994/5. However I beat that one back in 1997 during my stay at the Bethlem, so this is kind of a throwback to those times.  But yes as a new problem comes along the previous one starts to slowly loose it’s grip. But whichever one I beat the other will become a main problem.

Edited by shaun flanagan

Incidentally, talking of therapy, Mersey Care is developing a new therapy service for people who fall in the gap between IAPT and secondary care...could capture quite a few folk with moderate OCD for whom IAPT is insufficient.

3 minutes ago, shaun flanagan said:

Dave, they’re linked only because the ‘new’ issue is very similar to when I first developed ocd proper in 1994/5. However I beat that one back in 1997 during my stay at the Bethlem, so this is kind of a throwback to those times.  But yes as a new problem comes along the previous one starts to slowly loose it’s grip. But whichever one I beat the other will become a main problem.

I know, it’s like something always has to fill the vacancy if one aspect of the OCD wanes a bit.

But remember, same treatment principles apply whatever the prevailing problem.

Dave, it sure is. The new one is causing less problems and restrictions in my life overall compared to the first one which has a broader range of problems. It’s something i’ll have to let Talk Liverpool know about and when I eventually do get to see a therapist explain everything and if I can’t make my mind up by then, hopefully their input and objective viewpoint will help me decide. On the other hand I might have made inroads of my own on either one and i’ll have no problem deciding.