Triggers coming thick and fast

I am literally having trigger after trigger all day long. I try hard to beat one by getting busy or calm but then another comes.

Was managing after therapy but these are extreme times.

Ive phoned drs and can get meds again. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for me please. Need to be strong for my kids.cant put all this on my husband to help me with no back up for him..

Thank you 

Hi ecomum. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment.

Lots of perfectly normal things can feel threatening ('triggers') when your brain is in a state of heightened anxiety. 

You're right that seeking reassurance (putting it all on your husband) wouldn't be the right thing to do. But that doesn't mean you can't discuss with him whether things you are labelling as triggers are as frightening for him as for you. By that I mean asking him if he thinks of xyz as a danger in general, not getting into details of exactly what your danger fears are about. Bottling it up can lead to convincing yourself the thoughts are valid and prepares the ground for lots of damaging ruminating. Talking to others about what is making us feel threatened is a good way of getting some perspective on how much of the threat is real and how much is just a feeling based on OCD thoughts. 

Thank you for replying . Yes I have asked him this a few times and it helps.  Feels a bit like reassurance but it does give me some breathing space to think rationally rather than ruminate. 

I think I need to tell myself all the triggers are OCD. Because wether I've eaten uncooked chicken or something virus related, ruminating will not help , so I need to take a leap of faith.

I love this forum so helpful to vent and chat to people who understand.

Many thanks Polar Bear 

Hi, ecomum

I understand what you mean about triggers and I know how much they hurt. I've had a hard week, looking at all this different stuff on the internet to try and answer questions and instead more questions have cropped up. I know how sore it is and I know what you must be going through, especially in times like these. 

At the moment, physically, it's hard to escape these triggers because we're all stuck in. Please don't be hard on yourself. We all search for certainty but you don't need to do that. Give yourself a break; you're going to be fine. :hug:

C x

Thank you Cub

Even when I do find, not certainty , but at least acceptance and calm down, another worry comes. I am getting shakey an panicky.  I won't go into detail so I don't worry anyone else but everything I do leads to another worry and what if.

I have given up the idea of being perfect but yes I am being hard on myself and completely catastrophising every little thing. I think everyone is worried in these times but not to the point where they can't function which is why I think it's OCD too.

Chatting in here is definitely helping .thanks cub . It's so nice when people understand without me having to explain OCD .

Thank you 

Snow Bear I am so sorry,I called you polar bear. I was in such a state I just saw the picture and was shaking do much I could hardly think. I am so sorry.

I have taken you advice and asked my husband if I can talk to him when needed.   In return I will try not to break down completely and keep going .

Make sure you're not hard on yourself, ecomum! I've been there with the triggers this week and I know how easy it is to fall into. We'll be alright. :hug:

Ecomum These are trying times for everyone but I think people with this illness the isolation make things worse because we can not get out and about like normal and keep busy. I try to put some routine into my day and cut it into sections. Morning are always the worse for me and then the thoughts get less. I am luckily as I also work 3 times a week as a nurse in a care home. I love earlies as I wake up and then go straight to work. Lates start at 2pm so have to get through the morning. I think we just need to take one day at time and do talk to your hubby to not for ressurance but just to break the thought process. Thinking of you m.

What Chirpy said! Often, I can distract from my thoughts by: going to the cinema, going for a walk, going to the gym, work obviously and talking to all my friends and - odd one - going to Waterstones. I find that, being surrounded by so many stories and points of view, I can relax a little; books are very soothing. 

I know what you mean, Chirpy, about the thoughts being worse in the morning; I get that too. Let's all support one another! :hug: 

My thoughts are worse in the morning too. Yes I think you are right I need to put some routine in the day. I work in a school but we are taking turns and not my turn yet. I need to put a routine in at home. I just watched coronation Street on catch up which is progress as I couldn't have concentrated on it a couple of days ago.my goal is to be able to plan something and actually enjoy it eg. Watch a movie.

Thank you for your replies ..

Much respect for your key role chirpy you are awesome !!!!