CBT and changing OCD

Hey Guys! 

Long time since I posted on here. I have been avoiding this forum as I feel I do not have the right to post here again as I sought advice a few years ago and have yet to return the favour. I am not particularly in the position to offer support to others as I am so caught up in my OCD spiral that any advice given would not be productive. 

I am reaching out as I don't know where else to turn. 

I understand I probably need CBT, but as I cannot afford private counselling and that offered  through the NHS has been unsuccessful for me in the past, I am at a loss. Particularly with the virus at the moment I cannot overload my GP with my problems. I also struggle to put into words my OCD to someone else as it changes so frequently, when confronting these obsessions and compulsions, while I have managed to overcome particular ones in CBT, new ones appear and replace old ones, making it seem like CBT will be hopeless unless undertaken for the rest of my life (impossible I know). 

Recently I have developed a new and quite distressing obsession which I am not sure if it is OCD or what, but I don't know what to do. I cant tell anyone in my family right now as they are all stressed enough with the virus. I'm not sure if it is appropriate to put on this site.

3 hours ago, Chlo said:

it changes so frequently, when confronting these obsessions and compulsions, while I have managed to overcome particular ones in CBT, new ones appear and replace old ones, making it seem like CBT will be hopeless

Hi Chlo, 

Sounds like the 'CBT' you had may have jumped straight into behavioural therapy without doing the cognitive part. The cognitive side teaches you how to look at your obsessions differently regardless of the specific content. Putting it simply it's a 'one size fits all' attack on obsessions and compulsions so it doesn't matter a jot if they morph to new areas as the same principles can be applied across the board. 

Getting referred for CBT isn't going to be easy until the virus crisis is over, so meantime what about a self-help book to get you started? Have you read any up to now? Or do you have any worksheets from the CBT you had before that you could refer back to? 

You can describe your obsession here if it helps and maybe we can pick it apart and give some guidance on how to start tackling it. :)