Community quizzing

How about we all make up a quiz question, put the answer in a spoiler (the eye symbol above when you're typing) to help learn things and distract during this difficult time. The quiz questions can be about anything really, whether educational or silly, let's just keep our brains busy! No googling, you can keep your own score or you can play for fun :):):)

How much does it cost for a Krispy Kreme Assorted Doughnut Wall in the UK featuring 9 dozen Original Glazed doughnuts and 9 dozen Chocolate Sprinkle doughnuts? 

A. £195

B. £295

C. £395

D. £495

Spoiler

C. £395

Edited by Gemma7

In the 18th century in Britain, there was a coin called a Guinea, which had an agreed value against pounds schillings and pence. 

What would be that value now in decimal currency? 

Spoiler

One pound and five pence = 105P

Guest Common_Night-Owl

What is the real purpose of the practice of yoga?

a) To do stretching and balance exercises.

b) To become a contortionist.

c) To experience pain – somewhat like a fakir.

d) To put pressure on glands.

e) To worship pagan gods.

Answer:

Spoiler

d) To put sustained pressure on the various glands of the body (e.g., the thyroid gland) and to thus stimulate or overstimulate their activity, and by the effects of glandular overstimulation to eventually enter into a state of trance. (Which, trancing, is something that I do not recommend.)

In the latter 20th century what industry ignited the economy of the Scottish city of Aberdeen?

Spoiler

Offshore (North Sea) Oil 

Edited by taurean
Guest Common_Night-Owl

What is the real purpose of the practice of sati (mindfulness)?

a) To do breathing exercises.

b) To relax.

c) To live in the present moment.

d) To empty one's mind of worries.

e) To pay attention to bodily and psychical processes.

Answer:

Spoiler

e) To pay attention to bodily and psychical (mental and emotional) processes, beginning with one's breathing ("mindfully he breathes in, mindfully he breathes out"), and to thus, according to the teaching of Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha), eventually attain to the realization that we're composed only of aggregates, that everything about us (body, thought, feeling) is contingent upon something else and anatta: "not I, not mine, not my-self".

I adore history, jenny.

History, art, architecture, travel, photography, archaeology, steam railways, civil engineering, country houses, wildlife, languages are all of especial interest to me :)