We All Need OCD Now

We've seen some horrendous journalism about OCD over years. But that from the Wall Street Journal is worst ever IMO. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/we-all-need-ocd-now-11585672342

It's behind a paywall.  SHOUT ASHLEY

Headline

We All Need OCD Now

Then at the end of the article in the main body of text...

“Everyone is being OCD now,” my patient says. OCD is no longer only something we have. It’s something we’re under county, state and public-health authorities’ orders to become. “But they’re not doing it right,” my patient laments. He has a point: Social-distancing and hand-washing guidelines often are heeded improperly or only briefly before “OCD fatigue” sets in and caution is abandoned.

Evolution preserved a lifesaving anxious trait for us to tap into when needed. To use it right, we can look to people like my patient for discipline and inspiration. A little OCD, right now, wouldn’t be so bad.

The author, Dr. Aboujaoude is a clinical professor of psychiatry at Stanford.

I was quite shocked by this article, it seems so ignorant. Can I ask, does the USA have a different definition of OCD than the UK? I was part of a group for autistic people on Twitter and there were some quite experienced and reputable autistic advocates from America who seemed to view OCD as a genetic brain difference which caused repetitive behaviour, rather than an anxiety disorder. I got very confused at first, before I realised that we weren't talking about the same thing when using the phrase OCD. Could that be part of the problem of why the article seems so odd? 

NB I was able to read the article without paying somehow.

17 hours ago, Wren said:

Can I ask, does the USA have a different definition of OCD than the UK?

No, but the American Psychiatric community are behind the DSM which the last version lumped a lot of stuff in a group called OCD and Related Disorders which I suspect our health professional community would not have done.

Anyway, Zoe and I (with a lot of help from Gemma on my grammar) have published our response. 

https://www.ocduk.org/response-to-wall-street-journal/

17 hours ago, Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze said:

As my OCD has worsened again, I'm actually finding it harder to clean as I'm worried about spreading contamination.

Sorry Lost, happy to chat if that would help?

On 02/04/2020 at 14:52, Ashley said:

No, but the American Psychiatric community are behind the DSM which the last version lumped a lot of stuff in a group called OCD and Related Disorders which I suspect our health professional community would not have done.

Thanks for the answer.