Overcoming such hardships mentally

As I have previously posted, it’s a tough time for everyone and especially us people with bad anxiety and ocd, however I have suffered because I have been thinking back to something someone I went to high school with in 2007-2010 said when he dropped out of high school, he said “what’s the point in living when your just going to die eventually anyway”, now I never thought much into it because I always figured live life out to what’s possible to what can happen to anything is available, but now with this pandemic, whether it be bad for another month or two or whatever from today, April 1. I’m worried that he was right, I have worried that through previous depression periods before. I now feel more then ever it’s true 

Edited by Kcbell92

Hi, 

Sounds like you've latched onto this particular expression/memory and are analysing and ruminating over it until you've convinced yourself there's some validity to it. It's the same as any other obsessive thought that feels true just because you've thought it often. 

Can you think of a different way to re-phrase what he said so it essentially says the same thing, but the outcome (feeling) is different?

How about, 'The purpose of life is to live it fully right up until the moment we die.' 

Worded that way, it still says we're all going to die, but the emphasis has shifted to the living part instead of the dying part.

This pandemic will pass and life will pick up again, so for now perhaps focus on that future time rather than dwelling too much on your present fears. 

Yes, others have me “it’s not the destination, it’s the journey” even if that includes some hard moments in life, whether it be this pandemic or the issues of my family life or the death of my mother in August 2019 or my former gambling addiction and losses. But it’s the positives I must take and realize every day is precious even if I can’t live life out. The hard part is constantly thinking what that guy said isn’t true, instead of believing somehow, someway it is true