Negatives To Positives Game

Let's see how many of our negative feelings we can reframe to positives, and maybe create some fun too, during lockdown. 

I will start us off. 

Having photography as a hobby for years has created far too many photo albums and slides. 

So we have been going through them, enjoying the memories and the nostalgia, but culling the collection and making it representative of our lives, but more manageable and easy to locate places people and time ?

Negative 

Worried that being in lockdown would cause us to get irritable with each other. 

Positive 

We worked out a - flexible - schedule to allow for individual - and joint - use of rooms and the TV. 

And, generally, Julie will prepare breakfasts, and me light lunch then evening meal. 

I like cooking, and am now checking out some simple recipes, to seek out the ingredients for some of them on our next big shop supermarket trip. 

Negative 

My son's 12 birthday today.

Positive

He is so happy., Bought him games online .my artistic daughter made him an amazing picture.and family donated to charity on his behalf and I've let him off schoolwork today.

Negative: Having been in lockdown since the March 10th and still having online classes, life is getting a bit too much right now. Uncertain times lay ahead of us and it's difficult not to worry.

Positive: despite everything, I'm a healthy person (ocd aside ?) and I know there are many people out there who are in much worse situations right now. All we can do is hope for the best and try to enjoy these times at home the best we can.

Negative

My tight chest and sore throat might be coronavirus

Positive

I’ve been furloughed, so I don’t have to work with horrible people anymore who I’d been having problems with. I’m so glad I don't have to be around vicious gossipy prattle anymore.

Although I had previously registered for Sainsbury's online delivery, I hadn't used the service.

And as we are not NHS-deemed vulnerable and not quite yet 70, I understand from the radio they won't let us use it at the moment. 

But a tip off from a friend who said go to the store late was good. Minor queue and good distance enforcement, there was even someone sanitising trolleys. 

And we got everything we want. So well done Sainsbury's and all their staff. 

I was running low on black printer ink. I found out online that the only Argos stores open were in store in Sainsbury's and they were only operating with online click and collect pre-paid orders. 

So I did this for two black ink cartridges (already have two colour) and collected them during our shop. 

So I successfully reframed the disappointment of not getting an online shop of groceries. Now we are confident we can get what we need and that they are doing all they can safety-wise. 

We got in a big shop, but without panic buying, and  our upright freezer and little freezer compartment in the fridge are full. 

Negatives: Anxiety that I was dealing with before all this happened reared its ugly head again today and left me paralysed, frustrated and uncertain. :(

Positives: Did a little more on my online course and had dinner with my family, which has become a daily stability in these troubling times. 

Sainsburys have now said if two people turn up together to shop, one only will be allowed access into the store, the other must wait outside. 

But I suppose the other can wait in the car, and at least they will have got out of their home for a little while :)

Negative:

Saddened to read in my local paper that charity Age Concern wanted to charge a person in Devon £20.00 to get one off shopping basics for their distant housebound elderly relative in my East Sussex hometown.  

Positive:

Pleased to read that when an ad placed, good Samaritans provided what was needed for free, and highlighted just how concerned Age Concern really are!  

Edited by felix4
  • 8 months later...

Negative

Doing my best to look beyond them, looking to lift the mental filter that highlights them. 

Risky going into open shops if in the vulnerable age group. 

Positives

Managed to get a Sainsbury's delivery booked. 

It's still possible to walk or drive in the dark.

An inexpensive SAD lightbox replaces lost daylight.

The Oxford vaccine has been approved, so we now have two to look forward to. 

• 3 weeks later...

It may be winter but :-

Trees and bulbs are budding. 

Some interesting photos can be taken on walks. 

There are some great shows on TV about the countryside, wildlife. 

When I was out and about last year, so many beautiful aspects of our immediate neighbourhood revealed themselves. 

Some very disruptive nearby roadworks have finished. 

Icy and slushy outside.

But my wellies did well, no especial difficulties.

It's hard being locked down, but you do sort of get used to it. 

Without technology we would be stuffed. Even our invites for the covid-19 vaccination came via text message.

• 5 weeks later...

We can't get out too much at the moment. 

But we can now go to Sainsbury's and likely one more store during the week (because our Covid-19 vaccination is now at its most effective). 

We can now, since it is drier and warmer, work in the garden. 

I have been learning how to cook some more interesting meals. 

And walking for exercise.