Flatbreads

We don't have any bread at the moment but have a lot of potatoes and some plain flour - which it turns out is perfect for Norwegian style flatbreads!

If you have leftover cooled mashed potato,  mix it equal parts with plain flour. You can add a tiny bit of water, milk or olive oil if you like if the dough is too dry or going crumbly. Knead into a firm bread dough. Roll out portions of dough on a floured surface with a rolling pin to make flat plate-sized discs. The best way to cook them is in a dry frying pan or iron skillet. It only takes  a few minutes for each side, and gives you a lovely fresh flatbread perfect for making wraps.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing a lot of experimenting with flatbreads at the moment. I have a lot of finely ground cornmeal, so I was able to make corn tortillas, and (because one of them dried out a bit) also managed tortilla chips!

Creation of the day yesterday was trying out a chapati to go with some curry I'd made. I added some butter and oil to this one, and baking powder, and flavoured it with ground cardamom. It was more stodgy and bulky than the Norwegian ones, but made a lovely addition to curry.

Edited by AmandaG
spelling