Favourite Toys From Our Childhood

Well you might cynically say to me "Roy you are so old, can you actually remember your childhood" :lol:

Well I still have my marbles, and remember it very well ☺️

And a particular favourite for me was a Mamod toy steam engine. It couldn't be kept or run in the house so I played with it in the shed. 

The fuel to heat up the boiler was methylated spirits, and it would quite quickly produce enough steam to run a drive shaft and pulley, which you could connect up to provide static power for other things. 

It was great fun and made a lot of noise  smell smoke and steam. 

One of these appeared on the BBC's "The Repair Shop" recently and was restored to the condition I remember mine was in. 

Edited by taurean

Another toy I loved was the "Magic Robot". 

I can't remember exactly how he worked, but magnets and a wand were involved. 

The answers to a series of questions were in a fan around the robot. He would turn on his axis to point out the correct answer. 

Wonderful! 

3 hours ago, AmandaG said:

My Playmobil figures. I had a jousting knights set and some pirates in a rowing boat with a treasure chest. Absolutely loved them!

I agree with Amanda. I have great memories playing with playmobile figures in my childhood.

I also have great memories playing with Play Doh

17 hours ago, taurean said:

Well you might cynically say to me "Roy you are so old, can you actually remember your childhood" :lol:

Well I still have my marbles, and remember it very well ☺️

And a particular favourite for me was a Mamod toy steam engine. It couldn't be kept or run in the house so I played with it in the shed. 

The fuel to heat up the boiler was methylated spirits, and it would quite quickly produce enough steam to run a drive shaft and pulley, which you could connect up to provide static power for other things. 

It was great fun and made a lot of noise  smell smoke and steam. 

One of these appeared on the BBC's "The Repair Shop" recently and was restored to the condition I remember mine was in. 

We had one of those steam engines (not sure of make) in our house, it had originally been my Dad's.  I can recall the smell right now :)

18 hours ago, AmandaG said:

My Playmobil figures. I had a jousting knights set and some pirates in a rowing boat with a treasure chest. Absolutely loved them!

Oh I loved my Playmobil too. I seem to remember it was pretty expensive at the time, so it was a really big deal when I was given some of it. I always hankered for the pirate ship but never did get it:nopity: My favourite tho' was a cuddly Kermit...my gran lived a fair way away from us so we didn't get to see her very often, but my sister and I would watch the Muppet Show on a friday night and then chat to her on the phone about it afterwards. I still have Kermit but sadly my sister's Fozzie Bear didn't fare quite so well when our first puppy got hold of him:(

I didn't have the actual pirate ship, just a rowing boat and a few figures, but my best friend had all kinds of Playmobil stuff. The big spaceship, even the American Old West fort, I think. Which was handy, because I got to play with them too.

I remember playmobil figures were expensive too. I only had one small playmobil set. It was a small living room and 2 playmobil kids playing in the living room. The set had just a couple of furniture however I was really happy playing with it. ???

That brings up my Minic motorway set. 

This was a smaller size than Scalextric, but a very good set, and came with an e-type jag and a saloon car which you raced over a figure-of-eight circuit. 

I remember: 

- Tamigotchi - virtual pets which ate, pood and died on repeat until you got bored of them! 

- Furby (bit like Gizmo from 'Gremlins'- I think they brought them back a few years ago!) 

- My doctor set- I played 'hospitals' a lot with my friends and cousins and always wanted a toy IV drip!

- Puppy-in-my-pocket and 'Polly-in-my-pocket'- toys

On 14/04/2020 at 13:49, Hal said:

I would watch the Muppet Show on a friday night and then chat to her on the phone about it afterwards. I still have Kermit but sadly my sister's Fozzie Bear didn't fare quite so well when our first puppy got hold of him:(

Aw I loved the Muppet Show! (my favourite Christmas film is still 'A Muppet Christmas Carol').

Edited by BelAnna

I think the most idiotic toy of my childhood was the kit to make a balsawood plane. 

Balsawood was very light, but also had no strength. Accordingly the maiden flight of the assembled plane was likely to end up being its only flight :lol:

On 14/04/2020 at 23:12, Andrea said:

I remember playmobil figures were expensive too. I only had one small playmobil set. It was a small living room and 2 playmobil kids playing in the living room. The set had just a couple of furniture however I was really happy playing with it. ???

Yes, playmobil! My Noah’s Ark playmobil set was the highlight of many of my days as a kid. I loved all the little animals! I think it’s still in my grandma’s attic somewhere.

Did anybody have Sylvanian Families? They’re so precious and well made I could still see myself collecting them now in my mid twenties :lol: Very beautiful for kid’s toys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Made in Japan, Bandai Transformer toys. They were made of high quality metal and plastic which is a world of difference from those cheap Chinese plasticky ones you get nowadays.

3 hours ago, St Mike said:

Made in Japan, Bandai Transformer toys. They were made of high quality metal and plastic which is a world of difference from those cheap Chinese plasticky ones you get nowadays.

Fun fact, Optimus Primes original name in Japan was Convoy. 

On 17/04/2020 at 05:57, Loopy said:

Did anybody have Sylvanian Families? They’re so precious and well made I could still see myself

My cousin had some so we’d play with them when we’d visit her when I was a kid. Haven’t thought of those in ages!

On 15/04/2020 at 16:01, taurean said:

What board games did you like? 

We had "sorry", "monopoly" "cluedo" "totopoly" - a horse-racing game where you bought, trained then raced the horses. 

Sorry was a good one. We played Monopoly too but man, it’s not actually a very good game ?
I had the Clue: Master Detective version, which added more rooms, characters and weapons. (Cluedo is just called Clue in the US)
RISK was no me of my favorites. 
Yahtzee, UNO, Taboo, Scattergories, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride. I love board games. One of the downsides of living alone is you don’t get as many opportunities to play them!

16 hours ago, dksea said:

Fun fact, Optimus Primes original name in Japan was Convoy. 

The first generation Soundwave Decepticon could play sound when his companion cassette bot was placed in his chest slot. Whether there was actually cassette tape inside those cassette bots i.e. Laserbeak, remains unknown to me as they were too expensive for my parents to get, even as Christmas gifts. 

I also loved the Macross Valkyrie bots. I found the Gerwalk battle mode-the mid stage form between fighter jet and battle bot WAY COOL.

Being imported from Japan, they were also beyond my reach. I think I had only one-the standard VF-1 Valkyrie, a gift for performing well during a major exam perhaps, I can't recall. My favourite was the full amoured Valkyrie-GPB1. The GPB1 armour made the Battlebot a walking armoured missile carrier, utterly fearsome, utterly devastating.:gun_bandana:

Edited by St Mike

I always wanted Transformers but never had them. I had some kind of non brand-name version, which eventually broke in half, so half a robot transformed into half a Porsche. :D