Hi, when I get angry I throw things and break them.  I was allowed to see a psychiatrist as a one-off in December 2019. She said there might be a possibility of being prescribed occasional low-dose antipsychotics if this continued / got worse. Unsurprisingly it's been quite bad lately so I am wondering whether or not I should ask if I can try them.  Please could you reply if you have tried them and say whether or not they helped, and what the side effects were? Thanks very much.

Hi OP, 

I also struggle with anger as a consequence of my OCD. I have never tried a standard anti-psychotic but have taken 'Domperidone', which works on the dopamine receptors in the same way as traditional anti-psychotics (e.g. Risperidone)- it seemed to help some of my OCD thoughts but made me feel very down (I took it as an anti-sickness tablet). 

5 hours ago, seekingERPnorthwest said:

Hi, when I get angry I throw things and break them.  I was allowed to see a psychiatrist as a one-off in December 2019. She said there might be a possibility of being prescribed occasional low-dose antipsychotics if this continued / got worse. Unsurprisingly it's been quite bad lately so I am wondering whether or not I should ask if I can try them.  Please could you reply if you have tried them and say whether or not they helped, and what the side effects were? Thanks very much.

Hi

I have had antipsychotics for both psychotic depression & OCD. I find that they kind of twist the thought process a little, & I feel they help me see things in a slightly different perspective. The one I take now is a minimum dose of Aripiprazole, along with a small amount of anti depressant Venlafaxine.

I know it difficult at the moment, and I am not sure if such a service exists, but it might be worth asking if they could also put you in touch with a therapist via skype, that deals with anger management, so you are tackling this with either, or both.

All the best!

:)

Hi, when I get angry I throw things and break them.  I was allowed to see a psychiatrist as a one-off in December 2019. She said there might be a possibility of being prescribed occasional low-dose antipsychotics if this continued / got worse. Unsurprisingly it's been quite bad lately so I am wondering whether or not I should ask if I can try them.  Please could you reply if you have tried them and say whether or not they helped, and what the side effects were? Thanks very much.

The same with me. And even when I know that I will regret about most of the actions I do - anyway, I do it.