OCD: 'I spent 20 years preparing for the coronavirus pandemic' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-52564434

An article that I feel truly represents how I feel during this pandemic. Especially this hit...

‘Anecdotally, many people with pre-existing anxiety or germ issues have said they are experiencing less worry during the pandemic. Maybe because other people have adopted their worldview, are taking the same precautions, and are also now learning to manage high stress on a regular basis.
This is true for me, to some extent. But the pandemic has also thrown up - or revived - some unique challenges for me. Public health warnings have reinforced the fact that germs are easily transferred from person to person, even as we pass each other in the street. Hand-washing guidance has made me wonder how often I've left the sink without truly being clean. And groceries have presented one of the great re-emerging problems of my life.’

Yes. I don't feel abnormal, but the pandemic has definitely massively exacerbated my OCD, which was minimal for many years. It doesn't help that coronavirus has direct connections with two of my previous phobias. And I never had any handwashing compulsions until now.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the article the other week when it was published and I thought long and hard about commenting, but I am not sure I agree with much of what was written, but I accept that's the authors point of view.  But I think the narrative (title) could be unhelpful and misleading to those with OCD and the wider public about OCD.

I've spent almost 20 years practising for the coronavirus pandemic.

In my opinion (which people are welcome to disagree) that’s not the case, people with OCD have been doing unnecessary rituals and behaviours to prevent perceived dangers, with over-inflated sense of responsibility and risk perception in many cases.

The coronavirus pandemic is carrying out recommended rituals and behaviours to reduce the risk of a clear and present danger. i.e. The behaviour is in response to the real risk.