My partner has religious OCD which is rapidly escalating to frightening levels. I find him in a heap on the floor, screaming and crying and he won't come to bed until he has done multiple prayers. The need to pray multiplies with every intrusive thought. He is throwing away possessions, tearing his clothes and won't do normal recreation activities such as playing video games. His mother has made things worse by putting him in touch with the Jehova's Witnesses!  He is between CBT sessions. I am struggling to raise my 10 month old baby. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Lisabeth :)

I'm sorry to hear that your partner is struggling. Intrusive thoughts about religion are quite common in people with OCD, especially if their religion is important to them. OCD often latches onto whatever we really care about, which is what makes it so difficult. Has you partner had success so far with his CBT? Is it through the NHS? 

I recommend the self-help book Break free from OCD, there are sections specifically on religious OCD that might help your partner. It's may also be helpful if you read it too as it can help to have the same language to work together to tackle OCD. 

Remember to look after yourself as much as possible too. It's really hard being the partner of someone with OCD. Take time out for yourself and your 10 month old, doing small things that make you happy. Your partner can recover from this, it will just take a little time :)

Gemma thank you so much for your words. The CBT is working but it is early days and more work is needed. I will check out the book - we have agreed to work through this together so hopefully a helpful tool.

Thanks again