A Psychotherapist Increasing Anxiety

A psychotherapist and her partner live in the flat above me where they rent a flat. They rent a flat from a landlord who is a co owner of the building. They emailed their landlord that they had a persistent mice problem with scattered droppings.

I checked with the partner who said he had not seen the droppings as his partner, the psychotherapist, had cleared them up. He later texted me to say that he had talked to his partner and that she now believed it was a rat and a rat’s droppings as they were concentrated in a corner.  The following day the psychotherapist - I had to open the communal door because she had locked herself out -  said to me that there were no droppings. But she heard a loud noise in the wall.  This contradicts the emails and texts. The sole witness of the infestation is the psychotherapist.

They have a 14 month old son. If there was a rat problem would they not push for pest control. Their conflicting stories is causing me anxiety as if there was a rat presence I would be concerned. I am checking my flat for signs of rodent activity. Should I keep checking? I am listening for rodent noise which is difficult given the presence of a toddler and his banging on the ceiling. I resent not being their landlord having to check up on things. Or feel the onus to.

Frankly, it's not your problem but your OCD is making it a much bigger issue than it needs to be. Lesve it alone. 

Stop searching for droppings. Stop listening for sounds. And stop querying them about what's going on.