Time to try and let go

Hello

Back again but feeling better. 

My question today is can I let this go. What I mean by this is I think the SSRI'S are starting to kick in and and I'm feeling somewhat a little happier. I feel as if the rational side of my brain is trying to take over. The fear of that I have done something so taboo is still there but not as strong as it were if that makes sense. Im still doubting but not as much. 

I'm not thinking about my issue as much as but the last 9 months has been hell. What I worried about is that I will start to get more better and think less about my fear (thought) and then all of a sudden it will come true because to date I have not found that certainty to be 100% and leave it be. 

Also I'm afraid that the medication is just a mask and as soon as I stop it will all come back. How long on average do you take medication for. Im awaiting cbt but at present I can't see that happening for a while. 

My main question is, should I try and let this go. When I start to think happy I get this cloud come over me saying "don't forget what you have done" then I feel the urge to go over everything back 9 months ago and looking for reassurance on these sites. 

I also want to say a big thank you for everyone who's helped me on this forum. 

Thanks 

You feel terrible. You take meds. You feel better. What do you think is going to happen if you stop the meds?

Going off them is your choice but if you, in the mean time, haven't changed your thinking and behavior, you'll end up right back where you were.

You don't need certainty to move on. OCD wants you to be certain but it's a trap. You can work as hard as you can but you'll never be certain. The cure is to stop searching for certainty.

You can reach a point where you simply don't care.

When you get the thought, don't forget what you have done, it is an intrusive thought, an obsession. It is your mind baiting you, trying to suck you back into OCD mind games. Don't let it.

I have this problem of being scared to be happy cos I'll have something to loose.

I have been reading self help books about resilience and said to my self " I am a strong person,I can do this and if the OCD comes I will deal with it "

This has helped me , hope it helps you.

3 hours ago, PolarBear said:

When you get the thought, don't forget what you have done, it is an intrusive thought, an obsession. It is your mind baiting you, trying to suck you back into OCD mind games. Don't let it.

Hi Polarbear

So your saying this is also defined as an intrusive thought. So basically my first initial intrusive thought can create more intrusive thoughts around the subject? 

Also trying to not get sucked back in is very hard because I read all these other people's problems and I feel like I'm using ocd as an excuse and that it's not actually ocd. Does that make sense? 

Thanks 

Chris, there are no bounds to the type of intrusive thoughts you can get. You have OCD. So if a thought pops in your head that you would prefer not be there, and the thought distresses you,  it is intrusive.

Lots of sufferers go through bouts of believing their problem is not OCD, that they are a bad person, etc. That's doubt, which OCD has an endless supply of.