Any advice please

Hi everyone hope you’re all well, I would really appreciate some advice please, my parents are in their eighties and my mum has been not well at all and extremely worried about Covina virus. We have since discovered she has been having hypos in the night, she is on insulin but hasn’t been eating enough. The GP has cut her insulin down, and we are monitoring her blood sugar.My parents are not coping very well, my dad had a accident with his back and walks with a frame. Carers were stopped due to them worrying about covid virus. My two daughters are helping a lot, my CONTAMINATION OCD has been shocking, I am needed to help. The problem is That I haven’t been out and driving for weeks, ever since I thought I had driven past dog poo on the grass verge at my parents, I then went on my parents drive and my dad came over to me , I opened my window and now I darent get in my car until all controls and seat belt etc have been wiped with anti bac, When I drive I am constantly scanning the pavement and roads and kerbs. My brother has been up from Bromsgrove and stayed with them, but has to go back tomorrow. I feel so guilty but terrified, as I have to go to them. I don’t want to make things more stressful, Help xx

Hey Madchoc,

sorry that you’re having such a hard time, it’s a really tough situation and having elderly parents must be very stressful x

Just take it easy, you are doing so much to help them and you should be proud. It sounds like you don’t have much of a choice, you’ll have to go and see them. Perhaps you should treat this as an exposure exercise and try to drive the car without cleaning it. You must know on some level that driving by dog poo won’t hurt you. I’ve accidentally stepped in dog poo before and was fine. So now you have to try to face this irrational fear. You can do this!!

It’s a tough situation with a lot of community care being withdrawn. It’s a risk both ways. Does your Mum generally take her own blood or do the carers do it? Balancing carbs and insulin can be difficult in the best of times. It is a matter of repeated testing until you get the dose right for the reduced intake of food and having something sweet handy if she goes into hypos. But the food intake should not be reduced too much because of nutritional needs. You could ring the advice line of Diabetes UK. They also will be able to provide mental health advice. The GP could prescribe some anti anxiety drugs. Your Dad also needs some assistance as his mobility is very low. Could you get somebody to drive you? You daughters are doing a fine job!

Thanks Angst, my mum hasn’t got carers , GP has prescribed mum anti depressants but they are not working yet.We are waiting for dad to get carers back in, they said they would keep him on the list, now they say he has to have another assessment,,,

We have telephoned many times. I am proud of my daughters, 

Thank you xx