5 hours ago, benedictsoup said:

Whats a good way of avoiding triggers?

Deliberately triggering yourself! 

But in all seriousness  hello :) 

I jest above, but technically it's right. I am afraid avoiding triggers if my experience is anything to go by, simply means you will avoid one trigger and see 10 more and eventually everything becomes a trigger.  Avoiding them is understandable if we have no help or support or alternative ways to deal with the OCD, but generally avoiding is a slippery slope.  That said, if it's 10pm and a trigger would mean a 5 hour set of rituals, then maybe avoid, but be very aware of the fact you're doing it (without making yourself feel guilty) and make it a priority to find a way to challenge that through therapy or self-help in the following days.  

5 hours ago, benedictsoup said:

learning how to deal with my thoughts better

Effectively this.  Therapy will help you not just deal with the thoughts better, but help you understand it's the meaning you attract to the thoughts that drives this urge to avoid triggers.  With CBT in time you will learn to not just avoid triggers, but proactively encourage them and face them head on...... when we can do that without show stopping anxiety then we will no longer need to avoid triggers, because we are comfortable with them. 

Interesting question. I’ve taken vacations from triggers so that I can figure out why they are happening.  If I find they are of no concern they don’t trigger me anymore. 

On 29/05/2020 at 12:02, benedictsoup said:

Whats a good way of avoiding triggers?

Being a rock?

Unless you can find Medusa and get her to turn you to stone (side effects aren’t great, would not recommend) I suggest you follow Ashley’s great advice :)