OCD and Coronavirus: about disinfectant wipes

As someone with ocd, I tend to use many disinfectant wipes to wipe down and clean surfaces. Obviously with the coronavirus pandemic, these wipes are now in very short supply.

I'm wondering, from anyone else who also tends to use a lot of wipes, how you're dealing with the situation? Are there places where you're able to find wipes? Alternatives? Do there exist liquids of the solution that clorox/lysol wipes are soaked with that you can find and use with something like a paper towel or something? I'm running low on wipes and I've been periodically going to stores (as well as looking online) to try to find any wipes that I can and always have no luck, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks!

I do understand the frustration, I had a realisation yesterday that my 'need' for dettol surface cleaner, which I have struggled and worried about getting (in case I need it) is a form of self reassurance. So in part I understand the worry, but on the other hand I don't know if it's right we help someone engage in compulsions. 

The issue is for other people what they use comes down to how 'OCD' makes them feel. So whilst they feel ok to use paper towel, there's no guarantee your OCD will accept that. But of course, I guess a paper towel is better to use than a wipe (based on cost and environment) if your OCD will accept that compromise short term.

Do you mind if I ask, why do you have the urge to wipe the surfaces? is it a specific contaminant?  Are you getting any kind of treatment or on a waiting list at the moment?

2 hours ago, ferociousLIVE said:

As someone with ocd, I tend to use many disinfectant wipes to wipe down and clean surfaces. Obviously with the coronavirus pandemic, these wipes are now in very short supply.

I'm wondering, from anyone else who also tends to use a lot of wipes, how you're dealing with the situation? Are there places where you're able to find wipes? Alternatives? Do there exist liquids of the solution that clorox/lysol wipes are soaked with that you can find and use with something like a paper towel or something? I'm running low on wipes and I've been periodically going to stores (as well as looking online) to try to find any wipes that I can and always have no luck, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks!

For hard surfaces, aside from electronics, cleaning with soap and water and then disinfecting with a normal bleach solution should be more than sufficient. 

Having said that, if you are not in a household with someone who requires extra cleaning for medical reasons (including but not limited to COVID) you almost certainly don’t need to be using wipes anywhere near the amount you probably are. Admittedly things are a bit stressful now so it’s understandable if you don’t want to jump into this full bore, but if you can manage at least a little, I think you’d really benefit from taking steps to reduce your compulsions at this time, even if it’s just a little bit (while of course adhering to any guidance from your local health officials, etc.).