Opening the conversation…

After witnessing the scenes across America in recent days we felt it was right to be clear that the OCD-UK team, as individuals and as an organisation, condemn all forms of racism and discrimination. We too say #BlackLivesMatter today and every day.

Whilst great progress has been made in recent years in the understanding and treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and in addressing some of the stigma around OCD, we need to ensure that nobody is left behind. As a service-user led charity we know only too well some of the struggles that people face every single day because of their OCD, and we want to ensure that skin colour does not add to those struggles of surviving and overcoming OCD.

It’s important that we open up the conversation to ensure black people with OCD feel they have a voice across our organisation and we can ask that very important question “what else can we do to help?”.

Full Post: https://www.ocduk.org/black-lives-matter/

An interesting read in the current context is the publication today of Disparities in the risk and Outcomes of COVID 19 published by Public Health England. 

22 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

excellent post Ashley. 

With help from Claire, Zoe and Gemma. :)

3 minutes ago, Angst said:

An interesting read in the current context is the publication today of Disparities in the risk and Outcomes of COVID 19 published by Public Health England. 

I know the report was due, but had been delayed so have not year read it, thanks for the note that it's published I will go and have a read through.

1 hour ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

excellent post Ashley.  It is quite unbelievable what is happening at the moment in the states although I know racism is by no means unique to the US. 

Unfortunately, as an American I find what’s happening to be quite believable, especially given the actions and attitudes of the current occupant of the White House.

The optimistic part of me hopes what we are seeing with his election and these simmering tensions are the last gasps of a fading demographic of racists, who will soon see themselves squeezed out by more liberal, more ethnically diverse younger generations. (Projections have white, non-Hispanics, dropping below 50% of the US population in 25-30 years, currently the number is about 60%)

Good article Ashley and co . It was a shocking event and I fear may be inflamed by the current president, We are by no means perfect in the UK either .

Race riots are not new to America, there have been many. Presently people  are on edge because of quarantine fatigue & unemployment, etc. so quick to ignite. But this one like previous ones will clear up too. 

Edited by Handy
5 hours ago, Handy said:

Race riots are not new to America 

Or this country either, but this never started as a race riot, it was peaceful protest. Whilst the riots need to stop, America (and the rest of the world) must not stop protesting until social injustice is resolved. I fear the healing won't fully begin in the US  until there is a change at the top. Other presidents have been weak on this issue, but non have stoked the flames of discord, driving division like the current incumbent.