What shows do you watch to try and relax

I love Good Omens - which never fails to cheer me up - and also Endeavour and Lewis. They always make me feel better. :hug: 

Only a handful of comedy shows work when I have very bad anxiety. Any Vic and Bob series, Blackadder, Father Ted. I've seen them all so many times I practically know the scripts, but the familiarity is a bit comforting too.

On 07/06/2020 at 22:42, AmandaG said:

Only a handful of comedy shows work when I have very bad anxiety. Any Vic and Bob series, Blackadder, Father Ted. I've seen them all so many times I practically know the scripts, but the familiarity is a bit comforting too.

Father ted, never bettered, can’t beat Craggy Island 

On 07/06/2020 at 22:42, AmandaG said:

I've seen them all so many times I practically know the scripts.

I found this too with Father Ted, & sadly the novelty of watching them has worn off, apart from a couple of episodes! The one with father Fentan Stack, & the one with Pat Mustard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxcvVdIgyBA  :lol:

For me, I love Taskmaster on Dave, IT Crowd, 8 out of 10 Cats, oh & Red Bull soap box races. :)

Edited by felix4
  • 3 weeks later...

A guilty pleasure of mine is the Seth MacFarlane series of shows - "Family Guy", "American Dad" and "The Cleveland Show" which show in the UK on ITV-2 late at night often back to back.  They are very satirical and some would say near the edge humour, but they do cheer me up and relax me.  For gentler entertainment, "The Simpsons" on a Sunday afternoon on Channel 4.  Amanda - I am also a "Blackadder" fan, my favourite season being the Regency England one.  

"Doctor Who" of course, and science fiction generally.

And history, especially Ancient History.  Takes me out of myself.  

Tez :yes:

• 1 month later...

I watch the old comedies too like only fools and horses, father Ted. It's right they are comforting as they are familiar, I also know all the lines off by heart. If I get a trigger I put one on to distract myself long enough for it to pass.

I never dreamt anyone else would do this to.

I've watched Hetty wainthrop , father brown too they are escapism kind of cosy.and the royale family 'the golden egg cup' is the funniest thing I've ever watched.

14 hours ago, ecomum said:

only fools and horses

I love this too. Reminds me of when i was a boy, sitting down in an armchair by the TV with a cup of tea and biscuits. I loved this show. 

These days, anything with Karl Pilkington makes me smile. Podcasts, the Idiot Abroad Series, the Moaning of Life...I love all that. Very funny - recommend it if you need to take your mind off something. 

I quite like American sitcoms/dramas. Recently I've enjoyed 'This is us' (drama) 'Life in Pieces' (comedy); 'Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist' (musical, comedy/drama) and 'The Marvellous Mrs Maisel' (comedy; which I thought sounded terrible but gave it a go because it is award-winning- it was great!). 

I’ve been watching Who Wants To Be a Millionaire... always good to watch I find. I really liked the black chap on tonight he was so positive with a beaming smile especially when an intelligent guess delivered the goods. He said he was blessed... I think he is right. He didn’t finish so carried over to the next one either tomorrow, next week, or whenever it’s on next. Someone wins a million this series apparently.

On 09/09/2020 at 02:08, BelAnna said:

I quite like American sitcoms/dramas. Recently I've enjoyed 'This is us' (drama) 'Life in Pieces' (comedy); 'Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist' (musical, comedy/drama) and 'The Marvellous Mrs Maisel' (comedy; which I thought sounded terrible but gave it a go because it is award-winning- it was great!). 

If you need any recommendations I have extensive knowledge (perhaps too extensive ? ) of American television!  Happy to suggest shows based on your interests/likes/etc.  That goes for everyone!

I've been watching a lot of European crime dramas from places like Finland, Norway, France, Germany, Iceland - I need subtitles for everything which is a good way to stay focused.

And lately Japanese keirin races on YouTube have been a great short intense distraction.

I enjoyed Lethal Weapon the USA TV series... and Bodyguard the TV drama Series a while back with Keely Hawes... Cashing In the TV drama series with Sheridan Smith... I’m not particularly into cars but I like to watch Fast ‘n’ Loud (Gas Monkeys) the Dallas Texas TV series... as for films I quite like Liam Neeson ones or European ones especially French Comedies.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any programme on fine arts. Had some professional involvement and adore seeing them up close and personal.

Favourites Japanese snuff boxes and pre-rapaelite paintings.

I came upon an original of the painting "The Light of The World" by Holman Hunt, as an altarpiece in a Chapel in St Paul's cathedral. A very large night picture picture of Christ with a lantern outside a door overgrown with planting. Allegory depicting that Christ had to be opened up to and let into our hearts.

A deeply religious painting in its just perfect setting.

St Paul's always features prominently in programmes on the baroque period. It is a masterpiece of that style.

And when you visit the tomb of its architect Sir Christopher Wren in the crypt, his son inscripted on it " if you seek his monument look around you".

It's the cathedral church of the City of London, seat of the Bishop of London, last resting place of many famous persons including Nelson, Wellington and Fieldmarshall Montgomery.

I also love Notre Dame de Paris. Have been up the towers, was shocked by the fire, but enjoyed some fine programmes on restoration work

Edited by taurean
  • 2 months later...
On 10/09/2020 at 01:26, dksea said:

If you need any recommendations I have extensive knowledge (perhaps too extensive ? ) of American television!  Happy to suggest shows based on your interests/likes/etc.  That goes for everyone!

Hi Dksea, I've just read this post now! wondered if you have any recommendations? 

I tend to find listening to radio shows and podcasts is a really good and calming way to occupy time, inpeticular the Russell Howard and Jon Richardson show it aired from 2007 to 2008 but is really funny and relaxing, Jon also suffers from OCD so it makes the show feel very relative. I would definitely recommend giving this show a listen. 

15 hours ago, BelAnna said:

Hi Dksea, I've just read this post now! wondered if you have any recommendations? 

Good timing as I've just gone back from an unplayed forum hiatus just now, lol.  What kind of shows do you like?