What shows do you watch to try and relax

On 24/11/2020 at 06:31, BigDave said:

I’ve started watching Ted Lasso. It’s very funny. 

Ted Lasso is wonderful!  My only dislike is how few episodes there are and waiting for the next season!

2 hours ago, dksea said:

Good timing as I've just gone back from an unplayed forum hiatus just now, lol.  What kind of shows do you like?  

American sitcoms/general comedies, psychological thrillers, sometimes murder mysteries! Hope you're getting on ok!

On 19/03/2021 at 00:24, BelAnna said:

American sitcoms/general comedies, psychological thrillers, sometimes murder mysteries! Hope you're getting on ok!

Two of my absolute favorites sitcoms or Monk (about a detective with severe OCD!) and Psych. If you’ve never watched it the old Murder She Wrote with Angela Lansbury is a classic in the murder mystery genre. Another classic that touches on the thriller and murder mystery genre is Twin Peaks, but it’s also a bit weird. 
The Good Place is a fantastic recent sitcom.  Superstore is another good one. I’ll see if I can come up with any others that aren’t super obvious. 

On 19/03/2021 at 00:24, BelAnna said:

OMG I can’t believe I forgot the best sitcom on TV now, Brooklyn 99. So good. 

And a lot of classic sitcoms still hold up. Dick Van Dyke, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, MASH. Cheers is still funny but definitely has some...problematic male/female dynamics at times. 

On 20/03/2021 at 08:39, dksea said:

OMG I can’t believe I forgot the best sitcom on TV now, Brooklyn 99. So good. 

And a lot of classic sitcoms still hold up. Dick Van Dyke, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, MASH. Cheers is still funny but definitely has some...problematic male/female dynamics at times. 

Brooklyn99 is amazing I love it! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2021 at 08:33, dksea said:

Two of my absolute favorites sitcoms or Monk (about a detective with severe OCD!) and Psych. If you’ve never watched it the old Murder She Wrote with Angela Lansbury is a classic in the murder mystery genre. Another classic that touches on the thriller and murder mystery genre is Twin Peaks, but it’s also a bit weird. 
The Good Place is a fantastic recent sitcom.  Superstore is another good one. I’ll see if I can come up with any others that aren’t super obvious. 

Sorry Dksea, I missed this! I love 'The Good Place' and have just finished 'Superstore'. I'll definitely try Monk and Psych too. I've also just finished 'How to get away with murder', which I hated at first but then really enjoyed.

54 minutes ago, BelAnna said:

I'll definitely try Monk

I used to love watching Monk! (It aired here in the UK several years ago, so might be available on BBCiplayer/ITVHub.

It kind of shows OCD from different angles. You find yourself empathising with him, but then laughing as an outsider at him arguing with fellow sufferers, where their OCD's conflict! :D (I know we should not laugh, but it kind of puts a different perspective on our own suffering, when you see 2 people claiming the psychiatrist/therapist has allowed them to order waiting room literature/magazines in a specific order for example. They are both arguing, & the therapist never permitted this at all, but it kind of shows how irrational our rules are.

It also kind of shows that mental health is not a barrier, & in some cases like a super power with a different way of thinking compared to others.

Edited by felix4
On 07/04/2021 at 19:10, BigDave said:

I’m surprised nobody mentioned Naked Attraction ?

:lol:

17 hours ago, daja said:

Out of the quiz shows I like Pointless and The Chase - especially the celebrity ones.

The Chase is great...esp the banter between Bradley and Anne. 

I saw Camille Cotton on Graham Norton's show earlier in the year and gave Call My Agent a go over on Netflix...and absolutely loved it.

Also a fan of The Good Fight on More4.

11 hours ago, Hal said:

I saw Camille Cotton on Graham Norton's show

We didn't get Graham Nortons show in the US, though maybe you can now thanks to streaming, but I've caught clips on YouTube in recent years and its really enjoyable!

Oh another great show that may or may not have made it to the UK airwaves is the Fresh Prince of Bel Air staring Will Smith.  I recently started re-watching it again on streaming (HBO Max in the US) and am really enjoying it.  Good mix of humor but also occasional serious issues.

The Graham Norton Show's great fun...at one stage the go to guy here in the UK for chat shows was Jonathan Ross, but after a dodgy phone call he lost his job at the BBC which gave GN a chance to tone down his act and take the primetime Friday night slot. He's pretty smart in that he owns the production company producing the show...can flash the cash to get some top flight names on and gets good ratings.

10 hours ago, dksea said:

Oh another great show that may or may not have made it to the UK airwaves is the Fresh Prince of Bel Air staring Will Smith.  I recently started re-watching it again on streaming (HBO Max in the US) and am really enjoying it.  Good mix of humor but also occasional serious issues.

I'm pretty sure it aired here a few years ago... I should get my act together and give it a go. I think it's being remade isn't it...

12 hours ago, dksea said:

We didn't get Graham Nortons show in the US, though maybe you can now thanks to streaming, but I've caught clips on YouTube in recent years and its really enjoyable!

Graham Norton is really good most of the time! 

I really liked 'The Fresh Prince of Bel Air' when it was airing here in the 00s. A lot of Brits have seen it because one time Will Smith and Alfonso Ribeiro were on the Graham Norton Show and the audience sung 'Yo home to Bel-air' (the theme song) and Alfonso did the Carlton dance along to the Tom Jones' song.

Edited by BelAnna
On 10/04/2021 at 04:21, BelAnna said:

I really liked 'The Fresh Prince of Bel Air' when it was airing here in the 00s. A lot of Brits have seen it because one time Will Smith and Alfonso Ribeiro were on the Graham Norton Show and the audience sung 'Yo home to Bel-air' (the theme song) and Alfonso did the Carlton dance along to the Tom Jones' song.

I'll definitely have to look that one up!!

Thought of another good sitcom, Fresh off the Boat, about a Taiwanese American family set in the 90's in Florida.  Features a good amount of cameos and just finished its 6th and finale season.  Based off a memoir.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, daja said:

Anybody here enjoy Doc Martin?

Hi Daja,

I've not seen the most recent series but yes I like it. It's filmed in 'Port Isaac' in Cornwall, which is somewhere that I used to visit every summer growing up so I like it for the scenery as much as anything! The only thing is that when I was looking after my Gran who had dementia for years, we used to watch each episode repeatedly (she found it very calming and preferred re-watching) so I got a little bit bored of it! I might start watching it again though- I love Port Isaac.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Food and travel is good for that. Those cycling documentaries us usually send me to sleep. The Chef Shoe on Netflix is good —  Rey continuous, dishes shown from start to finish with very few chops/cuts in the audio. Long continuous sections of conversation, partly about technique but with cultured chit chat to spice it up. Plus funky disco beats. And the cuisine is always interesting, with lots of fascinating technicality.

• 1 year later...

I enjoy Family Guy, satire of almost everything and sometimes dark humour. Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing, just funny and great views of British countryside(all on YT).

I also listen to Brainwave radio to relax and watch vids of the sea(hours of those on YT).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VANe662ZENY&ab_channel=WorldNatureVideo

• 3 months later...

I am no fan of thrillers and crime drama, and I wouldn't see them as helping me to relax.

But the things that do so are:

History

Archaeology

Travel

Concerts

Light-hearted documentaries

Hobbies

Country houses snd Estates

Gardening

Fishing.

Repair and Renovation

Home Improvement