Hi Folks, 

I just wanted to say many many thanks for your support, I have taken a significant step to recovery and am a good 90 percent better.

Hang in there, all those still suffering and all the best.

Clomipramine , meditation and watching relaxing shows worked for me. 

8 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Hey @The last Jedi

Glad to hear you are feeling better :)

I hope you don't mind but have a couple of questions as regards Clomipramine.

How long have you been taking it and at what dose? Did it take long to feel the benefits?

I'm thinking of trying it you see.

All the best 

Jumbo

Hi Jumbo, it took about a week of taking it to feel a lot better. I started taking it last Sunday, by this Sunday I felt stronger and calmer and yesterday I felt significantly better. the side effects (for me) are it gives me a bit of a hoarse voice, but its a price worth paying. 25 mg tablets twice a day. 

I’m glad to hear you are feeling better!  Remember, it’s ok to feel down sometimes, give yourself permission to have bad days, but also try and remember that you feel better after too :)

35 minutes ago, dksea said:

Remember, it’s ok to feel down sometimes, give yourself permission to have bad days, but also try and remember that you feel better after too :)

So true ! I have to remember that... ?

Edited by carolinevtn
  • 1 month later...
On 09/06/2020 at 01:06, Jumbo said:

Hey @The last Jedi

Glad to hear you are feeling better :)

I hope you don't mind but have a couple of questions as regards Clomipramine.

How long have you been taking it and at what dose? Did it take long to feel the benefits?

I'm thinking of trying it you see.

All the best 

Jumbo

I've been on clomipramine for 2 months now, started 50mg (25mg twice a day), now on maximum at 250mg (125mg twice a day) . I weigh 90kg.

I feel it started to help me at about 150mg and I'd say now I have about a 50% improvement overall and am able to resist engaging in compulsions half of the time, which is great. 

Clomipramine is a TCA, and is much more likely to cause ECG changes, so my psychiatrist insisted my heart be checked before and during treatment. I had a normal ECG before I started on it and had another ECG last week which showed 3 different abnormalities, so I am expecting a phone call this week to say I've gotta come off them. 

The only side effect I get is inorgasmia, which unfortunately for me is a pretty major one. I've tried every other SSRI, bar Fluvoxamine, and also Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine, but clomipramine has been by far the worst for this. I also usually have a very high libido, which has literally turned to nothing. My advice is if you have a healthy sex life, then clomipramine may ruin it, but this of course may not happen for every individual, though it's pretty likely if you read the stats. The other bad one for this for me was Paroxetine, but clomipramine is way way worse.

• 2 months later...

Just to add to this a couple of months later in case anyone's interested.

I had to stop Clomipramine due to a massive increase in my blood pressure, constipation and a couple of incidents of full blown rage coupled with some pretty intense suicidal thoughts. 

I reduced down over about 4 weeks and it's been 2 weeks since last dose and I've still got the familiar brain zaps all day when I move my eyes, much worse so with any other antidepressant withdrawal.

Conclusion: although clomipramine may work for some it doesn't work fo me and I fully get now why it's not first line treatment. Only other thing I've had that was nearly as intolerable both on and off it was Paroxetine.

Next on the trial and error list for me is Fluvoxamine which I'm starting at 25mg daily. 

Good luck everyone