Feel like I have OCD on the ropes, but now False Memory!

Hi all,

I've been putting theory into practice with my OCD and seeing huge benefits. From acceptance to cutting out compulsions, I'm seeing a big reduction in my anxiety, with my dearly held values still very much intact.

Of course the OCD is fighting back, with more repulsive, disgusting thoughts than I've ever had. However now it's trying to affect my memory, by implying I've done something terrible in the past, that clearly I haven't done! 

Would acceptance be the best course of action again? Is it ok to think you've done something really awful in the past? 

How about simply not care and get on with your day.

OCD will demand that you try and determine if you did an awful thing. But remember this: you are under no obligation to do so.

Edited by PolarBear

Good point! 

I hate how the OCD pretends to have the moral high ground. Like you've put me in this situation, you're the bully! Also isn't it funny how the things you fear you may have done are the very ones which are completely against ones character?? How could I have done these things if the OCD was making me so scared to avoid doing the actions in the first place? So dumb. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm finding this quite tricky to manoeuvre around. I know it's OCD and I know I didn't do something appalling, but I have strong senses of guilt around the thought. I'm also scared about how this will affect my memory, like installing a false memory of an action related to the thought. Any advice? ERP? 

There is no maneuvering to be done. You had an obsesdion, just like all the other obsessions you've had it made you feel bad. Guilt is a byproduct of obsesdions, just like anxiety. 

You treat it the same old way. You leave it alone. Let it float around in your head. It will only stick if you give it the attention it craves. 

On 21/06/2020 at 12:01, Imhotep said:

I hate how the OCD pretends to have the moral high ground. Like you've put me in this situation, you're the bully!

Just wanna say I love this, so true! Made me chuckle.

Edited by hazydaze