I haven't been on here for a few weeks and was doing really well on 'Managing' my issues by significantly cutting back on the amount of compulsions/reassurance I was doing.

However last night i had something that hasn't really happened to me before. 

I had a very disturbing dream about something last night and i woke up this morning with the 'what if' its a memory or something that happened a long time ago that i had forgotten about.....

I automatically went straight into reassurance mode and several times i thought about it and said to myself 'it didn't happen....' but the problem i have, is how do we REALLY know these things didn't happen?  We don't do we, and have to live with the uncertainty that however disturbing these dreams were, we will never know for sure if they happened or not? 

I'm trying desperately to not reassure myself about it, haven't done since this morning, and when i get the worry come into my head and the 'steer' to reassure myself, i just say to myself 'I'm not doing it....'

Anybody else get disturbing dreams that they worry what if it really happened and it was a forgotten memory? 

11 hours ago, MentalChecker said:

but the problem i have, is how do we REALLY know these things didn't happen?  We don't do we, and have to live with the uncertainty that however disturbing these dreams were, we will never know for sure if they happened or not? 

Yup, you will never be able to prove 100% that ANY past event happened or didn't happen.  Even something as simple as what you ate for breakfast today.  After all, for all you know the universe was created two seconds ago when @PolarBear, who is secretly an omnipotent god, snapped his fingers and willed it into existence and everything you THINK happened in the past was put there by him and his angelic (or demonic ? ) servants.  Far fetched? Perhaps, but technically possible.
Trying to figure it out is a losing battle when it comes to OCD.  OCD can always find a way to add another "...but what if?" no matter how far down you dig.  The only way to beat OCD at its game is to not play.  Its not always fun or easy, but its the right way out.