Keeping things symmetrical, exact, perfect

Hi

I don't know if this is OCD and if anyone else has experienced or heard of anything like this? This may sound strange but here goes. 

I have always needed things to be symmetrical, exact and perfect. My  parents say I always ate things in a certain order when I was a child, and I remember wanting shoes to be lined up just so. 

In my teens was when it really kicked in, I wouldn't/ couldn't wear certain clothes I deemed nice in order to keep them 'perfect' and exactly as they were when I got them like it was my job. 

This has improved thanks to CBT, and having children helped me realise there are far more important things in life then getting a stain on my favourite T shirt. 

Having said that I still worry about certain items in my wardrobe if I wear and feel tense until I get home and then I can take them off. 

Edited by Lost in Thought

Hello,

While I am not a medical professional and have not experienced OCD symptoms exactly like that (So maybe take this with a grain of salt), I think that if you are thinking about symmetry to the point where it interferes in your daily life and you cant get it out of your thoughts, then that could be OCD. Especially if not making things symmetrical causes you distress and discomfort. (That could potentially be a compulsion, especially if making things symmetrical only gives you temporary relief.) If this focus on symmetry is impacting your daily life a lot, I would suggest talking to a psychologist if you are able. 

Best of luck! ?

This is where the misconception of OCD sufferers as neat freaks comes from.

There is a type of OCD where obsessions have to do with order and symmetry. Not a lot of sufferers havebrhese types of obsessions, but most of the world thinks we all have them.

6 hours ago, Lost in Thought said:

I don't know if this is OCD and if anyone else has experienced or heard of anything like this? This may sound strange but here goes. 

I have always needed things to be symmetrical, exact and perfect. My  parents say I always ate things in a certain order when I was a child, and I remember wanting shoes to be lined up just so. 

This is a common, though not universal (and often stereotypical) problem among OCD sufferers.  Needing things to be "just right" is essentially no different than needing to be "certain" about something, its all about OCD's demands for an impossible level of perfection.  Luckily, as you have found, you can treat it through CBT just like any other OCD troubles.  Apply those same principles to your wardrobe, push through the anxiety and discomfort and in time you'll find it fades away and you will be back in control again.

Edited by dksea
12 hours ago, dksea said:

This is a common, though not universal (and often stereotypical) problem among OCD sufferers.  Needing things to be "just right" is essentially no different than needing to be "certain" about something, its all about OCD's demands for an impossible level of perfection.  Luckily, as you have found, you can treat it through CBT just like any other OCD troubles.  Apply those same principles to your wardrobe, push through the anxiety and discomfort and in time you'll find it fades away and you will be back in control again.

Thanks dksea,

When I was doing CBT I did mini exposure exercises with my clothes - wearing my “best clothes” and sitting with the anxiety this caused rather than checking them to make sure nothing was “wrong with them”  

I have rationalised how clothes aren’t perfect when you get them, they are tried on by other people, moved around the shop, transported to the shop etc so they are bound to get some damage before I get them ( obvious I know)