Hi everyone,

Just changing to a new medication called Anafranil and I’m hopeful the change might be good for my OCD but of course nervous to try something different also. Is anyone taking this currently and what have your experiences been?  I was on lexapro but I think it is more of a general anti anxiety med and have heard good things about Anafranil for OCD.

Thanks guys x

Anafranil is also known as clomipramine so search the forum on that.

I personally take the maximum dose of 250mg and it has helped my OCD a little bit, but I am also trying to engage with CBT. 

I have quite serious sexual side effects from it, but it might not be the same for you.

You need to make sure you get ECG checks before and during taking it, as it is known to cause heart abnormalities in some but not all people.  My doctor insisted of this and so should yours. 

I dont' at all want to scare you from trying Anafranil but I do remember having quite some weird side effects from it back when I tried it. Specifically I remember having trouble feeling my legs. However, it could have been some weird thing I imagined back then. I did stop using it though. But yes, you must be sure to get ECG's regularly because tricyclic antidepressant tend to have more side effects. I hope you will have benefits from your new medication ☺️?

Hi guys thanks so much for all your responses. I have started to take Anafranil. I took 25mg at night the first night, then 50mg last night and tonight I will go up to 75mg.

I do feel a little hazy in my head right now, perhaps that is the sedative effect. I am wondering will this pass and perhaps it is only in the short term when starting a new drug? What do you think? 

On 14/07/2020 at 09:19, Captain Trips said:

Anafranil is also known as clomipramine so search the forum on that.

I personally take the maximum dose of 250mg and it has helped my OCD a little bit, but I am also trying to engage with CBT. 

I have quite serious sexual side effects from it, but it might not be the same for you.

You need to make sure you get ECG checks before and during taking it, as it is known to cause heart abnormalities in some but not all people.  My doctor insisted of this and so should yours. 

Captain Trips my Doctor is planning on increasing me to 150mg steadily. May I ask you did you feel exhausted when you first started taking it and sort of ‘out of it’ a bit?  I take it at night but even after a full night’s sleep I find myself so sluggish and tired trying to get going in the morning. I am only on this drug not even a week but if it always feels like this, I’m definitely not taking it long term. 

Edited by Nikki79
On 15/07/2020 at 02:24, Rarity said:

I dont' at all want to scare you from trying Anafranil but I do remember having quite some weird side effects from it back when I tried it. Specifically I remember having trouble feeling my legs. However, it could have been some weird thing I imagined back then. I did stop using it though. But yes, you must be sure to get ECG's regularly because tricyclic antidepressant tend to have more side effects. I hope you will have benefits from your new medication ☺️?

Hi Rarity I just feel exhausted and sluggish all day with it and just sort of ‘out of it’. I’m not liking this experience at all and wonder  will it stop and get better. 

Hi guys sorry I’m really freaked out here but I looked at the bottle with my meds in them and it says ‘chlorpromazine’ when I googled it that is for bipolar and schizophrenia none of which I suffer from. The Psychiatrist I saw is under pressure as he has made mistakes with my script before but do you think I’ve got the wrong one?

can anyone advise me please thanks so much 

Hi Nikki,

It sounds like a mix up! To be safe, it would be worth seeking medical advice NOW, such as whether to carry on, or stop immediately, or reduce.

I am guessing it either the doctor or pharmacist has messed up! I am sure you'll be fine, but contact someone tonight, wont you!   

9 minutes ago, felix4 said:

Hi Nikki,

It sounds like a mix up! To be safe, it would be worth seeking medical advice NOW, such as whether to carry on, or stop immediately, or reduce.

I am guessing it either the doctor or pharmacist has messed up! I am sure you'll be fine, but contact someone tonight, wont you!   

Hi Felix,

It’s almost midnight here so I won’t be able to talk to anyone until tomorrow. I checked the first script and it did say Anafranil but the second one says Chlorpromazine. I’ve only taken the Chlorpromazine just last night so I’ve just stopped that immediately now and I will go to the chemist I got it from in the morning and then I’ll phone the Psychiatrist on Monday morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Nikki79 I am really sorry I haven't seen your message before now. I have had quite a rough time here.

So how did everything turn out? Be aware that sometimes you can be assigned to certain medications which were intended for other use. However, they still can be used on OCD. I experienced that before. But always good to check up on it ?

On 17/07/2020 at 17:16, Nikki79 said:

Captain Trips my Doctor is planning on increasing me to 150mg steadily. May I ask you did you feel exhausted when you first started taking it and sort of ‘out of it’ a bit?  I take it at night but even after a full night’s sleep I find myself so sluggish and tired trying to get going in the morning. I am only on this drug not even a week but if it always feels like this, I’m definitely not taking it long term. 

Sorry for late reply, I didn't feel tired with it to be honest. My initial dose was 25mg followed by increase of 25mg every 4 days. Try and bare with the side effects and don't quit prematurel; it should get better